Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting it to Pass (MA State Inspection!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting it to Pass (MA State Inspection!)

hey guys, new to board and new to the panther platform. I just bought a 97 Merc Grand Marquis w/160k miles. It failed inspection for e-brake and balljoints. The previous owner sold it to me for $300 because of this! Woo! I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I'm afraid the balljoints might be stretching it for me.. The power steering also whines, but I'm going to try to flush the fluid myself before I r&r the pump.

The front suspension 'clanks' when you drive over a bump, and steering wanders a little bit. The report does not indicate which wheel or wether it is the upper or lower joint. I haven't jacked the car up to check yet (snowing today) but I will. How bad are balljoints to do? If I take it to a shop.. What should I expect to pay?

welcome to GMN!
    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
    1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I had to change both my lowers on the old 97 Grand Marq at 55k. I paid at the time, I think around $250-275? I've done it myself since though, It's not too hard of a job, particularly with the wonderful loaner programs at Autozone etc, a ball joint press and an impact, brrrrapapapapapapBANG! Done. Or strong arms in lieu of an impact

Uppers were a snap for me, a 20 minute job (each side), no impact, but I've heard if yours are really rusty it could be hard.

Banging could be anything, control arm bushings, etc, although I had problems with the sway bar end links until I got good ones. When bad, the front end liked to skitter around on somewhat bumpy highways etc and you'll see them when you look, it'll be obvious.

Ebrake, you got me. I never touch them. A power steering pump whining on a Ford? Surprise!

Congrats, my 97 was very good to me.

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

welcome to gmn!

i would change all 4 ball joints.......the uppers are bolt on, and the lowers you will need a ball joint press......having worked on panthers for many years, the idler arm and pitman arm are probably wasted also...no special tools for the idler arm, for the pitman arm you will need a pitman arm puller

also check the inner and outer tie rod ends and the sway bar links.......the nice thing about these cars is that the chassis and brake parts are very reasonably priced

parking brake cables arent that much either.......sounds like you got a real deal on the car!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Balljoints are easy. If you have an AutoZone near you, you can go there and rent (for free!) a nice balljoint press tool that looks like a huge C-clamp. It's really, really easy to use - the hardest part is removing the brake rotor and separating the balljoint with a BFH. Well, and getting the castle nuts lined up with the cotter pin holes once they're torqued properly. But the actual balljoint removal/installation gets really easy with the right tool, and best of all, it's FREE!

Interesting that they inspect for functional e-brake. On my first car, back when I knew somewhere between nothing and jack squat, I took it to a shop to get the e-brake working again and they gave me a little bit of a hard time because they didn't see why I wanted a working e-brake on an automatic car.
          Last edited by 1987cp; 12-21-2010, 11:53 AM.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

Interesting that they inspect for functional e-brake. On my first car, back when I knew somewhere between nothing and jack squat, I took it to a shop to get the e-brake working again and they gave me a little bit of a hard time because they didn't see why I wanted a working e-brake on an automatic car.
            E-brake needs to work in NY too for inspection, although I'm usually pretty lenient when inspecting them.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Whereabouts do you live in MA? I live on the CT border of Southwick, MA. I might be able to give you a hand if we can find some time after Christmas. PM me if you'd like.

Comment

Mass Resident here aswell, always willing to lend a hand and tools.
                Resident diesel addict

Comment

this is bullshit, someone come help me..haha
                  1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                  1994 MGM GS Montigua
                  2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                  2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the offers to help! I'm in Malden. It's about five or six miles north of Boston. I'd consider driving it to Southwick, but I'm afraid the driver side lower will give out on the way. It just started squeaking today. I gotta wait to do em until after Christmas anyway when I have some spare cash. I think it'll be ok for a week or two, it's restricted to in-town only now. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'm tackling a few other small issues with it: Interior lights not working (Dash lights are okay though.) I think the e-brake is just an adjustment issue. I can see the cable hanging kind of slack underneath the car.

Comment

Working...
                    X