Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Viii heads/intake swap on my NPI shortblock...why not??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Viii heads/intake swap on my NPI shortblock...why not??

I have a 99 p71...I'm reading it's real difficult to swap in a 4v motor......

having said that, I've been chatting with some friends who are hardcore 4.6 friends, as I'm thinking of doing a PI head swap, and they said just swap a mark viii top end onto my existing block.

so why would I not want to do this? Any suggestions here? I suspect I may have to play with the computer and/or wiring, but putting that aside, what's the real difficulty that I may run into here?
    -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
    -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
    -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

By no means am I a 4.6 expert... but I know the PI head swap is a proven upgrade and results in more compression on the non PI motors. Like 10:1 or so. So it's a nice upgrade. I think a roots supercharger on a Vic would be nice too if you could find a deal on one.

Comment

You'd have to swap the timing chain too, if this is even possible
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

cant be anymore difficult than puttign one in a stang
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

isnt the only issue with panthers the fitment of the cam covers by hvac plenum?
          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
          1994 MGM GS Montigua
          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Well, it's easier to swap in a 4v motor in an 03+. They have the chasis redesign that allows for the 4v to fit (ie Marauder).
            You'll need different exhaust mainfolds. I don't know how much clearance you'd have between the engine and the frame. And the wiper tray is in the way. Plus PI heads are way easier to do.
            But if you want to go for it, then who am I to tell you no.
            Good luck mang.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
              Well, it's easier to swap in a 4v motor in an 03+. They have the chasis redesign that allows for the 4v to fit (ie Marauder).
              You'll need different exhaust mainfolds. I don't know how much clearance you'd have between the engine and the frame. And the wiper tray is in the way. Plus PI heads are way easier to do.
              But if you want to go for it, then who am I to tell you no.
              Good luck mang.

-ryan s.
              there is a 03 interceptor by me for 2500 bucks if anyone is interested.
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

i'm not set on a 4v swap. for now I'm going to try the PI swap. I also read that swapping the 4v heads on a 2v pre 99 engine will result in 8.5 to 1 compression..not good unless I run a blower...

just continuing the discussion, anyone know about the 05+ 3v motors?
                -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
                -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
                -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

Comment

http://shop.torktech.com/index.aspx

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                  2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by v8only View Post
                    i'm not set on a 4v swap. for now I'm going to try the PI swap. I also read that swapping the 4v heads on a 2v pre 99 engine will result in 8.5 to 1 compression..not good unless I run a blower...

just continuing the discussion, anyone know about the 05+ 3v motors?
                    The '05 have a different auto trans- 5speed, so I don't know if there are complications bolting it up to a 4r70w auto. Also it appears in a totally different platform of mustang so there could be differences with earlier motors as far as mounts oil pan etc. Returnless fuel system, throttle by wire. I think guys say there harder to modify? Have to reflash the computer for every little thing or something?

What about going with 5.4 16v truck or 5.4 32v navigator power?

Comment

it is a totally different platform, nothing from the fox chassis carries over. it is however the same ob2 engine management thats been around since '96.

might as well consider a 5.4 3V then too.
                      id stay away from the 2V if youre going to be doing the work for the 5.4 swap.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

5.4 2v motor swap is probably the best way to go.
                        So, for the sake of technical data:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...790510&fpart=1

There is a metric shit-ton of information there for the swap, which I may consider next summer.

-ryan s.
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                          5.4 2v motor swap is probably the best way to go.
                          So, for the sake of technical data:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...790510&fpart=1

There is a metric shit-ton of information there for the swap, which I may consider next summer.

-ryan s.
                          Thanks for the link ryan. If I had an aero or whale that needed a motor I would totally go 5.4. Swap looks real straight foward... He didn't mention anything about the trans though.

Comment

If your changing heads you might as well throw some cams in there (probably an arm and a leg on a 4.6, just liked the video)

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
                              Thanks for the link ryan. If I had an aero or whale that needed a motor I would totally go 5.4. Swap looks real straight foward... He didn't mention anything about the trans though.
                              The 5.4L 2v motor is of the modular motor family. The 4R70/75W mates up to the 5.4 with no problem. Or you could go with with a T-45 swap.

-ryan s.
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Working...
                              X