Non cracked red dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non cracked red dash

Looking for a non cracked red dash pad for my 87 grand marquis. Cant seem to find any at the local yard.
    2018 F150 XLT 43k
    1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 44k
    1968 Buick Riviera

Originally posted by mikeroc283 View Post
    Looking for a non cracked red dash pad for my 87 grand marquis. Cant seem to find any at the local yard.
    whoa local mang long time no see, cant find a nice one, but im pretty good at repairing them though.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

how do you repair a dash pad?

I may need said info if I ever want to make my MGM look decent again... or if the Mark needs patching.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Dont think it can be repaired. Half of the speaker areas are gone.
        2018 F150 XLT 43k
        1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

you should still be able to recover it.
          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
          1994 MGM GS Montigua
          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Dont think it can be repaired. Half of the speaker areas are gone.
            oh the swiss cheese, nah easy fix, hmm guess il have to go find a somewhat decent one and fixer up ill do a nice writeup in the process, hmmmm this is a good winter project didnt spend a year in a an upholstry shop for nothing
            Last edited by zoomie; 12-23-2010, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I kept looking for years and years. Just when I gave up and started thinking about rebuilding the one I had, a friend dropped off a nearly perfect dashpad:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/19270/67620

I was going to redo mine by cutting out the damaged speaker grill area and flush mounting some speaker grilles I had laying around. I was then going to upholster the thing using speaker cloth or Alcantara. Not in my ability, but I did notice the two MIB cars I had seen had leather wrapped dashpads, with real nice French stitching along the edge facing the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                I kept looking for years and years. Just when I gave up and started thinking about rebuilding the one I had, a friend dropped off a nearly perfect dashpad:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/19270/67620

I was going to redo mine by cutting out the damaged speaker grill area and flush mounting some speaker grilles I had laying around. I was then going to upholster the thing using speaker cloth or Alcantara. Not in my ability, but I did notice the two MIB cars I had seen had leather wrapped dashpads, with real nice French stitching along the edge facing the driver.
                ooooo lucky you mang! yours was in worse shape than mine lol, hmm ill have to check out those cars never really looked at them

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                  I kept looking for years and years. Just when I gave up and started thinking about rebuilding the one I had, a friend dropped off a nearly perfect dashpad
                  ... which some donkey-hat has now cracked in a spot from hitting it with its left knee whilst getting in and out of the car. Seriously, what a loser.

FWIW, the one guy at StationWagonForums with the '81 Fox T-bird wagon fixed his cracked dash with some bits of metal rod over the disused speaker holds, expanding foam insulation, sanding the whole shebang, and then coating with rattlecan truck bed liner for a textured finish. Not sure how it looks in person, but it seemed decent enough in pictures.

Murphmobile's phantzy dash cap thing looks wonderful, though. IIRC his was $120ish, though I have no idea where he got it.
                  Last edited by 1987cp; 12-23-2010, 12:23 PM.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    ... which some donkey-hat has now cracked in a spot from hitting it with its left knee whilst getting in and out of the car. Seriously, what a loser.

FWIW, the one guy at StationWagonForums with the '81 Fox T-bird wagon fixed his cracked dash with some bits of metal rod over the disused speaker holds, expanding foam insulation, sanding the whole shebang, and then coating with rattlecan truck bed liner for a textured finish. Not sure how it looks in person, but it seemed decent enough in pictures.

Murphmobile's phantzy dash cap thing looks wonderful, though. IIRC his was $120ish, though I have no idea where he got it.

rofl lol i can not only fix a dash but recover the thing in any color/pattren thats available, ill be starting mine after the new year

Comment

Sounds exciting! I once had a notion of covering every cosmetically-significant piece of plastic inside the car with nice faux-leather vinyl material, and even bought myself some in a nice burgundy, but never got further than the initial head-scratching with that project.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I have a close to perfect red pad from an '84.
                        It has the center speaker as well as the outer speakers. It has a minor crack in the center speaker section. Let me know if you are interested. petev8@webtv.net WagonMan
                        89 Colony Park
                        90 Colony Park
                        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Id like to be able to not see cracks. Mines pretty bad. Heres what it looks like.
                          Attached Files
                          2018 F150 XLT 43k
                          1968 Buick Riviera

Comment

Id like to be able to not see cracks. Mines pretty bad. Heres what it looks like.
                            easy fix mang! lol well ill be pulling a diff dash from the yard hee soon and ill start on the recover and repair here after the new year if you like what you see we will work soemthing out.

Comment

at least yours isn't a bad as mine was! I got lucky and scored one from a fellow box fan.

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X