Exhaust Note????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Note????

Im going to have to get the exhaust done since it has some holes in the future. Theres a certain sound I want but I dont know how to achieve it. The only way I can describe it is rat rod/motor boat sound. When I think of it I imagine a slammed chop top Merc shootin flames lol.

This is the only example I could find that was on land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSFtVsQoNE
    Town Coupe [X]
    Mark VI [ ]
    Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
    Crown Victoria Coupe
    [ ]

I predict glass packs in your future... The hushpower flowmasters have that old time hot rod sound but are kind of pricey.

Comment

You're not going to get that kind of sound from a panther with any exhaust setup until you install a hot rod/boat motor.
      Large diameter pipe and long, large tips will give you the most sound volume, toned by muffler of choice.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

no mufflers on the stock exhaust will sound like that.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Car the car in the video has the sound and its a MKVI. Isnt that a panther? I looked and it seems like glasspacks have the sound Im looking for.
          Town Coupe [X]
          Mark VI [ ]
          Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
          Crown Victoria Coupe
          [ ]

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
            no mufflers on the stock exhaust will sound like that.
            Yea Ive had straight pipe before on one of my cars and it gave it that effect but Im looking for somthing a little more suttle.
            Town Coupe [X]
            Mark VI [ ]
            Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
            Crown Victoria Coupe
            [ ]

Comment

Yeah the exhaust in the video is either strait pipe or glasspacks most likely...
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by BBMK790 View Post
                Yea Ive had straight pipe before on one of my cars and it gave it that effect but Im looking for somthing a little more suttle.
                Rat rod / motor boat sound is subtle??? Make up your mind! lol
                sigpic

Comment

my mark VI has glasspacks but, dont sound like that. my marquis wagon has straight pipe exhaust and sounds like the lincoln in the vid. that is the only way to achive that exact sound.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                    Rat rod / motor boat sound is subtle??? Make up your mind! lol
                    ok muffled motor boat/ rat rod lol

I had a 78 marquis with a 6.6 and I chopped the exhaust off. It had a cammed/rat rod sound. But it was also loud and dumped right under the floor. So that sound but a little more controlled.
                    Town Coupe [X]
                    Mark VI [ ]
                    Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
                    Crown Victoria Coupe
                    [ ]

Comment

If your exhaust is dumped right under the floor its going to be ALOT louder then if it has full tailpipes.

Comment

that car may be a boat but it doesn't sound anything like one.. all the boats i've heard sound good and are way too loud to be on the street.
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

its more controlled if dumped at the back of the car. ill make a vid of my exhaust to show you. with the exhaust system being so long and restrictive due to cats, its not that loud. my lincoln is very quiet with glasspacks. the sound might be a bit different with a straight set up and resonators

Comment

So then straight pipes no mufflers? Maybe dual 2.5''s?
                            Town Coupe [X]
                            Mark VI [ ]
                            Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
                            Crown Victoria Coupe
                            [ ]

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                              that car may be a boat but it doesn't sound anything like one.. all the boats i've heard sound good and are way too loud to be on the street.
                              THIS my boat has a 302 ford with 3 inch thru-hull exhaust and its loud lol

Comment

Working...
                              X