Throttle Body on a panther?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Body on a panther?

How difficult is it to replace the stock throttle body with a large one off of say an f150 4.6 or 5.4 from a junkyard? Ive heard of people doing it but never seen any detailed how to as such. Is it a simple unbolt old and rebolt now type deal? What year would the throttle body have to come off of to fit my 01 Marq? And would i need a tune or would it just be replace and done? Sorry for all the questions lol just looking for some relatively easy mods to do that will be cheap and simple. Thanks guys!

I have no idea if it will fit, the plenum/manifold might be different on the F150, but the throttle body is only like 4 bolts to take off - not including the airbox/resonator, vacuum lines etc
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=41370

Last edited by 1990LTD; 12-30-2010, 03:19 AM.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

One thing to consider is the inner bore size on the throttle body elbow - it's conceivable that a larger TB may leave the blade hitting material on the elbow and unable to open.

Tuning? I can't answer that, but keep in mind that refusing to tune anything seems to be the cardinal oversight of anyone running a SEFI vehicle of any sort ....

And of course there's the question of whether the TB on your particular engine is actually the main bottleneck, or whether there would be more gains to be had elsewhere for comparable cost/effort. Not that removing any restrictions isn't usually a good thing, but if you're expecting a big performance gain and the rest of the combo is junk, you're likely to be disappointed.

What are your performance goals for this vehicle? Is it currently 100% stock? How much $$$$ are you willing/able to spend to reach your goals?

Just some thoughts from a guy still fiddling with pushrod motors with calibrated vacuum leaks up top .....
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

as far as tuning goes I hear good things about blueovalchips.com
          sigpic

Comment

Order a "tune" by mail?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Order a "tune" by mail?
              some areas don't have tuning shops (think rural BFE types)... and if they do, they can't handle computer controlled stuff, but they can make a killer old school carbed engine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The beauty of electronic fuel injection

Try tuning a carb by mail!
                sigpic

Comment

What I'm not understanding is, how can a vehicle be tuned objectively without testing it following each tuning change? I thought the more usual thing was to obtain a tool like a TwEECer and adjust calibrations yourself.

Comment

I understood it to be customers giving their cars specs to the guy that can actually do the tuning to the ecm/chip/whathaveyou but I could be wrong
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      Order a "tune" by mail?
                      It's not uncommon......

Lonnie does great tunes, if I ever get another 4.6 panther that's who I'd be looking at.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Some how I feel compelled to comment on this. But I'm not happy about anything thread involving "Throttle bodies". It's a sore subject for me (ASSHOLE).
                        Anyway, the 4.6 throttle body from the F-150 is the same. 65mm. I know there's a guy on eBay who rebuilds stock throttle bodies and ports them out. It's relatively cheap.
                        If you can acquire one, an Aviator throttle body is 70mm and an upgrade. It's just kinda hard to get.
                        Or you can buy an aftermarket one from ADTR.net or anyone else.
                        It works really well when coupled with a freer flowing intake, and underdrive pullies.

yup.

-ryan s.
                        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                        Originally posted by pantera77
                        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Yes, as of now my car is 100% stock. And as far as a price range goes I'm just looking for something under a couple hundred bucks and is relativity simple to do for the average joe. Not expecting to be pushing 300 hp or anything but would like to get a bit more out of my 4.6. And im open to any other suggestions of things i could do for cheap and simple mods that will give me some gains. Thanks for the fast responses!

EDIT: Ive looked at the Ford Aviator Throttle Body at adtr.net and is claims is measures "close" to 70mm? What exactly does that mean, I'm assuming it would still be a direct fit? Is it worth getting the Ford Racing 4.6L 70mm Throttle Body for about another $100? Being there both 70mm I don't see why it would, but I'm not sure so thats why I'm asking.
                          Last edited by 01grandmarq; 12-30-2010, 01:19 PM.

Comment

adtr.net has a ton of stuff that i'd buy if i could afford...power isn't cheap for a 4.6. for the money i spent on my 5.0 i could have maybe a cold air intake with a cone filter on my aero
                            sigpic

Comment

Ok i know someone will probably flame me for this, but would i get more of a noticeable increase of power with underdrive pulleys? And how much of a pita are they to install?

Comment

Working...
                              X