K&N Filter Cleaning Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N Filter Cleaning Tips?

I'm about to get a cleaning and recharge kit for my K&N filter for my CAI. Does anybody have any tips on how to clean and oil these things properly?

Packman

Spary them down with either K&N cleaner or purple power/ simple green, or the equivalent.

I spray mine down both inside and out, and let them sit for 10 minutes. I wash it out (from the outside in, and vice versa. Then a soap and repeat.

I only oil them with genuine K&N oil. But the cleaner can really be anything.

Let it dry overnight before oiling. And never blow it out with compressed air, or you can trash the filter.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

How do you get the inside of the cone filter?

Packman

Comment

Reach in there and spray it. I do it all the time with the concical from the FIPK on my Ram.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

through the hole in the bottom

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh, wait, the hole is 3" ID; more than enough room for my lil' az arms. Cool! I will get the cleaning and recharge kit with my block heater.

Packman

Comment

How many miles since you installed? Arent they rated for 50,000 miles or something?

I actually watched a couple of videos on youtube for this info ad found various ways of cleaning. I will be purchasing the recharge and clean kit as well....
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I thought real K&N filters were guaranteed for a million miles?

I've only used normal recharge kits on the gauze filters I've had. Which reminds me, the one I have now needs cleaning.

My big tech tip is to keep a paper filter around so you can drive the car while the good filter is off being cleaned.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I meant between cleanings....if they are claiming 1 million miles between cleaning I would laugh.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

spray nine is the exact same stuff as the filter cleaner, just cheaper.
                    79 Grand Marquis

Comment

I installed the CAI a year and a half ago. But I don't use it during the winter. I have the stock air filter on the lopo right now.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by Leafsrule16 View Post
                        spray nine is the exact same stuff as the filter cleaner, just cheaper.
                        As in, 409? Wouldn't doubt it. Probably the oil is identical to something readily available as well.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Buy the box, follow the instructions. IIRC the recharging box with the cleaner and the oil was like $11
                          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                          X