exploder heads/intake without egr and smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exploder heads/intake without egr and smog

Which exploder heads come without the thermactor plumbing?

Which intake doesn't have the EGR?

I don't need either of those systems and it seems like it would be a waste of time and effort eliminating them when I could just wait and get the right parts
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

none of the Explorer heads came with thermactor/smog passages.

97 1/2 and newer intake do not have internal EGR passages.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

good to know
      1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
      1994 MGM GS Montigua
      2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

the 96 heads are supposed to have internal passages and supposedly you can tap the outside of the head.

thermactor doesn't have any effect on smog....I deleted the thermactor tubing on my explorer swap and just ran a straight pipe from the smog pump to the cats. the only job of the thermactor system is to pump air into the heads when cold...then the air gets diverted to the cats when warm.

since you don't smog your engine cold, it won't effect your smog check. As well, on the visual, the tech didn't even notice the thermactor system missing and just put an n/a under thermactor system...lol. Just make the new pipe that you put into the cats look like a factory install job.
        -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
        -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
        -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

Comment

And the reason they pump air into the heads with the engine cold is to make the converters warm up faster. It lasts maybe 5 minutes and then it diverts. Overall, not a particularly useful system IMO.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Why do people insist on eliminating the EGR system? It makes the combustion chambers cooler, to lower NOx emissions yes, but by doing this it also lessens the chances of detonation/preignition/pinging.

No Explorer heads had the termactor ports. Internal EGR ports are found in all '96 and some '97. Even if it uses external EGR, it may still have the ports in the intake. Case in point, my '97 intake. Ford was just using up what castings they had from '96. So it's possible a '97 has the ports, or it doesn't.

'96 heads are GT40
            '97 and up are GT40P
            P heads need specific manifolds/headers to clear the spark plugs.

Comment

97 was a split year for GT40/GT40P engines. Early 97 5.0's were GT40 just like the 96's.

It's easy to tell which is which without having to look for the GT40 or GT40P casting on the heads. The GT40 engines have wrapped exhaust headers, while the GT40P engines have bare cast iron exhaust manifolds. Both are junk!!

I've look at a bunch of them and have yet to find a GT40P engine with the wrapped headers.

P.S. I just deleted the air pump and all related crap when I did my Explorer 5.0 GT40 swap.
              Last edited by mcninetyone; 01-12-2011, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                97 was a split year for GT40/GT40P engines. Early 97 5.0's were GT40 just like the 96's.

It's easy to tell which is which without having to look for the GT40 or GT40P casting on the heads. The GT40 engines have wrapped exhaust headers, while the GT40P engines have bare cast iron exhaust manifolds. Both are junk!!

I've look at a bunch of them and have yet to find a GT40P engine with the wrapped headers.

P.S. I just deleted the air pump and all related crap when I did my Explorer 5.0 GT40 swap.
                Wow, then I guess I have the engine to prove you wrong.

Build date that was on the valve cover was 10/10/96, it has GT40P heads and it had wrapped manifolds. I still have the manifolds at my house, but right now, I'm like 200 miles away.

Comment

I've seen some crazy stuff come out of those years...I read about a guy having the worst problem with his 96 "gt40" heads...after much research he found it was stamped with 3 bars, and had the "gt" logo on it, but had the gt40p spark plug angle that was messing him up. Go figure, a hybrid head.

Comment

Originally posted by v8only View Post
                    I've seen some crazy stuff come out of those years...I read about a guy having the worst problem with his 96 "gt40" heads...after much research he found it was stamped with 3 bars, and had the "gt" logo on it, but had the gt40p spark plug angle that was messing him up. Go figure, a hybrid head.
                    There's always the exception to the rule. That's crazy though. At least before I bought the engine I knew I was fucked for header selection.

Comment

ive converted 3 explorers so far for our fox mustang....I did do a 97 and it had gt40p heads, but also had the good intake with the internal egr passages

Comment

Originally posted by v8only View Post
                        ive converted 3 explorers so far for our fox mustang....I did do a 97 and it had gt40p heads, but also had the good intake with the internal egr passages
                        What year mustang?

Comment

was my 86 convertible....had it for 13 years...sold it a year ago or so
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFquMV8AnKY

there's the video of that explorer engine in my convertible..

I've also helped my brother convert a 96 gt40 explorer motor for his 86 gt ttop mustang....then he burned out on it (he and I picked up a 65 and 66 mustang for our newest projects) so he pulled the explorer motor out for his 65 coupe that he was building and my father and I located a 2000 explorer motor which we then converted and put back into my bro's old 86gt ttop which my father now owns and drives.

Just for fun, we own a stock 86 ssp highway patrol 5.0 coupe too

This is it on the day i sold it...from cali off to alabama

my bro's 86 ttop

and the police cruiser (stock)

Last edited by v8only; 01-13-2011, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            Wow, then I guess I have the engine to prove you wrong.

Build date that was on the valve cover was 10/10/96, it has GT40P heads and it had wrapped manifolds. I still have the manifolds at my house, but right now, I'm like 200 miles away.
                            WOW, just goes to show you this Explorer stuff comes in everyway possible.
                            If I had to do a second swap I would definitely check the heads before assuming anything!!! Thanks for the 'heads up' on that!

Comment

I've seen that video before! How good did that Explorer engine with the TFS cam? I really like the police coupe.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X