Voltage ???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltage ???????

ok fellas i think i have a problem and need some help. first off i was trying to install a second battery and well i messed it up lol. when i screwed down the fuse holder the screw was touching frame and well power wire touched screw and bam i welded the e brake cable to the frame. and well after that i just couldnt get things to work right so i just removed all the wiring and said forget it for now. well the problem i might have now is what i need help with. i was wondering if there is a ground stap that goes to the frame anywhere to ground the frame???? and when car is running i hit the brake and volts drop reall quick then go back up its not much of a drop but it does drop is this ok is it doing what its supolsto do ??????
    2001 Grand marquis 85k miles
    Dual 40 series flowmaster exhaust
    20x8 chrome rims Formula 1 Z-rated tires
    In dash 7" touch screen

battery may have a weak cell from the grounding action. There is a frame ground up front in the engine area. Typically it's from the battery to the frame or from the engine to the frame/chassis/body. Not sure exactly on the 2001, but anything metal in the car should be electrically grounded as far as frame/body/chassis goes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

alright i can see 1 that goes from firewall to engine. and i have done the big three. wich is power wire frome alt to battery then ground from battery to engine and frome battery to body( i ran mine to rad support). i guess i will take to autozone to have battery checked. i just want to make sure i didnt damaged anything before i start with any more mods.
      In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

There is a ground from the engine to the battery. It's hooked up to the upper transmission to engine bolt.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

yea i seen that one too i hooked up another one to the front of motor cause of the price of wire $6 a foot. i going to run a high output alt and yellow top i think that will be good for my new setup.
          In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

$6 a foot? I just got 25 ft of 8 ga for $40. Can't be much bigger than that.

-ryan s.
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

0-gauge is about 3x bigger then 8-gauge. i not sure how big it actually is but its about as big round as my thumb
              In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

I wasn't sure of what you were using the 0-ga for. It sounded like you used it as a ground. Sorry. And I know how the SAE gauge wire system works.

Good luck mang!

-ryan s.
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

ok got car back from shop today they said they did something with ground wire. wife picked it up sorry for lack of info. they said if it keeps doing it to replace alt. well it is still doin it so i get new alt this weekend. question i have is when i went to car wash as soon as the water hit the front of car volts dropped way down but came back after a min. would a bad ground do that???? do want to waste money on alt $199.99 if that not the prob. could use money to take to different shop "the dealer" OUCH!!!!!!
                  In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere to me.

If you try the dual battery thing again, let me know, I'm running two on my wagon. 1800 cold cranking amps, and your own car being able to jump start itself = WIN. (if a bit heavy, but then emission control termites ate a bunch of heavy components, so it evens out.
                    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27
                    6 / W / 3.73
                    2 / K / 3.55
                    A / - / 3.63
                    J / - / 3.85

Comment

ok i went to shop today and talked with guy. he says alt acting alittle weird so he thinks its the diloads???? basicly i shorted the rectifire he beleives. said he went through all grounds and they were all fine. he said he took all of them off and cleaned them up and tightened all of them. he said when water is hitting alt its shorting out alt. but he said it what he thinks he not sure. said i can remove alt and he can put on machine and test all of it. autozone check is no good he said he can test with load. i just cant go without car for to long i need to get to work so what do you guys think
                      In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
                        Sounds like a bad connection somewhere to me.

If you try the dual battery thing again, let me know, I'm running two on my wagon. 1800 cold cranking amps, and your own car being able to jump start itself = WIN. (if a bit heavy, but then emission control termites ate a bunch of heavy components, so it evens out.
                        I like the sounds of that set up. How are the batteries wired in your rig?
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

It's a very simple setup actually.

I removed the radiator overflow/windshield spritzer bottle and put a battery tray there.

Then I bought some extra long battery cables and wired everything up like the drawing here.
                          Attached Files
                          Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                          AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                          Open/Lock/Ratio #
                          -----------------------
                          G / H / 2.26
                          B / C / 2.47
                          8 / M / 2.73
                          7 / - / 3.07
                          Y / Z / 3.08
                          4 / D / 3.42
                          F / R / 3.45
                          5 / E / 3.27
                          6 / W / 3.73
                          2 / K / 3.55
                          A / - / 3.63
                          J / - / 3.85

Comment

so no thoughts guys i confused and i not rich. Another guy i know that worked at ford dealership as a machanic said the shop sounds right. but he did say there might be diloads in the wiring harness he cant remember. does anybody else know if there is???? i would like to know by this weekend cause i getting new alt and battery then and its going to cost me $350 for both.
                            In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

No diodes in the harness. There are fuse links though. They live between the alternator plug and the plug on the fender that it goes to. Remove the split loom tubing and you'll find them. If they are melted, they're bad
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X