5.0 to 4.6 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0 to 4.6 swap

I might want to swap out my low po 302 for a 4.6 (2 valve) and electronic transmission. Yup, harness, computer, and all (maybe even an aftermarket standalone computer). What year of these engines are "better" for this sort of thing? You know how everyone recommends the HO 302 between certain years. Well, are there any 4.6 engines from certain years and/or models that are mor powerfull, lighter, stronger, and so on? I posted this thread here because I have a 302. Should I post this in the 4.6 area? Should I just do a HO conversion and mod the 302? Whats better? I know which is cheaper, so I only want to know which will be more reliable, drivable, powerfull. Excluding price. Thanks
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

5.0 to 4.6 swap

I might want to swap out my low po 302 for a 4.6 (2 valve) and electronic transmission. Yup, harness, computer, and all (maybe even an aftermarket standalone computer). What year of these engines are "better" for this sort of thing? You know how everyone recommends the HO 302 between certain years. Well, are there any 4.6 engines from certain years and/or models that are mor powerfull, lighter, stronger, and so on? Should I just do a HO conversion and mod the 302? Whats better? I know which is cheaper, so I only want to know which will be more reliable, drivable, powerfull. Excluding price. Thanks
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
      I might want to swap out my low po 302 for a 4.6 (2 valve) and electronic transmission. Yup, harness, computer, and all (maybe even an aftermarket standalone computer). What year of these engines are "better" for this sort of thing? You know how everyone recommends the HO 302 between certain years. Well, are there any 4.6 engines from certain years and/or models that are mor powerfull, lighter, stronger, and so on? Should I just do a HO conversion and mod the 302? Whats better? I know which is cheaper, so I only want to know which will be more reliable, drivable, powerfull. Excluding price. Thanks
      mod the snot outta the 302 or do a modded 351 if your gonna do a 4.6 do a full on terminator swap
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

sweet, id like to put a modular in a box too. you want a PI 4.6 btw.
        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
        1994 MGM GS Montigua
        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Whats a terminator swap?
          sigpic

Comment

Are you selling a PI 4.6?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
              Whats a terminator swap?
              03/04 mustang cobra engine/drive line

and no, im not selling one, but theyre around. mustangs get totaled every day.

and 4V from a mach 1 would be nice (terminator engine without the forged internals and blower). im not sure about clearances around the hvac plenum, though.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
              2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

the only reason to put in a modular, IMHO, is because you want to.

otherwise id stay with the pushrod.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

stock motor, the 4.6 blows the lopo away. if you plan on buying gofast parts for it, the windsor is MUCH cheaper
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

That was one of the first questions that I asked when I joined this forum. I wouldn't know where to start with the wiring. Other than that, physically it can be done.

Packman

Comment

One out of an earlier GM Aero would probably be easiest for the wiring, I think the cluster and dash is almost identical to the 90/91 Box Vic/GM. As for best, probably the later Whale engine/trans/ecm combo.
                      1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                      1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                      1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                      1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

The Lincoln MK8 motor has an "unbreakable" ( good for 1200-1500hp stock) block if your looking for strength. Plus better factory heads I believe.
                        Town Coupe [X]
                        Mark VI [ ]
                        Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
                        Crown Victoria Coupe
                        [ ]

Comment

I know a guy in Indiana who specializes in swapping Mod motors into early Rustangs. Pretty sure he's rather expensive for GMN tastes, though.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Your best best is for a 2V 4.6 is either 99+ in Mustangs, or 2001+ in Panthers. They have the upgraded PI heads and PI intake.
                            I'll post more later.

-ryan s.
                            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                            Originally posted by pantera77
                            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

03 Marauder Driveline.

Comment

Working...
                              X