Explorer swap with codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explorer swap with codes

I recently did a 2001 explorer swap. used the Lincoln logs. No smog. No Egr. '92 A9P Mark VII ECM. 19# injectors from a '95 4.6 TC. 77mm TB from the '95 4.6. I am using the LOPO TPS with on the newer TB. LOPO AIC on the newer TB.
    All of the EGR vacuum relays are disconnected and onplugged with no wires or vacuum lines connected. (this probably explains 81, 82, 84)

I have a few codes I need some help deciphering.

21 - ECT out of self test range (O)(R)(C)

23 - TPS out of self test range (O)(R)(C)

24 - ACT or VAT input out of self test range (O)(R)

31 - EVP or PFE circuit below minimum voltage

81 - ?

82 - ?

84 - EGR vacuum regulator (EVR) circuit failure (O)(R)

Please give me some guidance on the first 4 codes. I would believe the last 3 are from the EGR delete. Any suggestions on how to clear these codes?

21 may be because you pulled codes with the engine cold. Let it warm up and see if it goes away.

23 suggests that you should put an analog voltmeter on the TPS and make sure it's not being stupid.

24 means that the AIR charge temp sensor may be being stupid. If it's in the airbox as opposed to the intake, that may have something to do with it.

31 is the EGR Valve position sensor. EGR related

81 and 82 are turbo and supercharger related, so I have NO idea why you're getting them.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Under what conditions are you getting these codes? there are 3 different test modes;
      Key On Engine OFF, Key ON Engine Running and Continuous or Keep Alive

depending on which mode you were in when the test was done can determine what the code means.

on the first 4 codes, double check your wiring and make sure the sensors are hooked up correctly. also check the connection at the main harness plugs (white and black connectors) also known as salt and pepper shakers.

Code 81 and 82 are related to the air injection system, if the solenoids electrical connection are left disconnected, you will get those codes.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

It was a cold engine. I am going to un hook battery then warm it up and retry.
        It was done KOEO

I will check my wiring but the car runs like a top. The air temp sensor is just laying on the intake for right now. I will be wiring it into the airbox in the future.

By air injection you mean the air pump? If so that would explain some. I completely removed that system and the solenoids that were on the intake by the TB. I left them unplugged. I may try and hook some vacuum to those then plug them in to see if the codes go away.

Basically it sounds like I will be looking at the engine light for a while with this engine swap.

I am using a ECM from a Mark VII so I wonder if that has anything to do with 81 & 82?

Thanks for you guys' help with this. I will rerun on a warm engine tonight and post back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
          By air injection you mean the air pump? If so that would explain some. I completely removed that system and the solenoids that were on the intake by the TB. I left them unplugged. I may try and hook some vacuum to those then plug them in to see if the codes go away.
          81 - Air management 2 circuit failure (AM2/TAD).
          82 - Air management 1 circuit failure (AM1/TAB) .

Yep, that would do it.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
            It was a cold engine. I am going to un hook battery then warm it up and retry.
            It was done KOEO

I will check my wiring but the car runs like a top. The air temp sensor is just laying on the intake for right now. I will be wiring it into the airbox in the future.

Basically it sounds like I will be looking at the engine light for a while with this engine swap.

I am using a ECM from a Mark VII so I wonder if that has anything to do with 81 & 82?

Thanks for you guys' help with this. I will rerun on a warm engine tonight and post back up.
            yes... engine needs to up to operating temp before you can pull codes accurately.

yes.. by air injection I mean air pump, smog pump. If you connect the electrical part of the solenoids, codes 81/82 will go away. you do NOT need to connect the vacuum hoses to the solenoids.

Also, did you do a MAF conversion? A9P ECM is a MAF computer from an automatic Mustang. Mark 7 ECM would be a D9S or YC3, both are SD computers.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

TPS isn't set right. Set it so it reads .7-.9 volts at closed throttle. I didn't think you could use the Lopo tps on a later explorer throttle body...
              This stuff was aquired from KOEO? Is the air temp sensor plugged in?
              ECT code is probably cause it wasn't warm. Though, it shouldn't give you a code when the engine isn't running.
              It doesn't see the thermactor solenoids.
              is the EGR position sensor plugged in?

Comment

If you plug in the thermactor solenoids, you'll have I believe a 44 and 94, which will indicate the air injection doesn't work because its not there. 6 of one, half dozen of another. I know those two do not make the check engine light come on, not sure about 81 and 82. I'd use whichever setup made the light go off. No need to run vacuum to the solenoids, the ECM only checks to see if there is resistance there. You can actually substitute a resistor of the proper value to trick the ECM into believing stuff is plugged in if you really want to stealth it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                  yes... engine needs to up to operating temp before you can pull codes accurately.

yes.. by air injection I mean air pump, smog pump. If you connect the electrical part of the solenoids, codes 81/82 will go away. you do NOT need to connect the vacuum hoses to the solenoids.

Also, did you do a MAF conversion? A9P ECM is a MAF computer from an automatic Mustang. Mark 7 ECM would be a D9S or YC3, both are SD computers.
                  My apologies. I am running a D9S computer right now.
                  I bought an A9p for when I do the MAF conversion. It is on the shelf right now.

I will connect the solenoids and recheck the codes on a warm engine.

And yes I did use the LOPO TPS on the throttle body. The TB is from a '95 TC (77mm) The bolt holes had to be widened out on the sensor since the bolts are further apart. I also had to shave off a tad bit of the blade sticking up to get the sensor on there.

Which wire do you check for 0.7 - 0.9 volts on the TPS? Do you do it with the ignition on or off?

Thanks guys for the help.

Neal

Comment

How about some engine pics for some eye candy?

Comment

key on, meter from the black wire to the green wire. I use paperclips to poke into the back side of the connector.

Engine bay looks good, nice and clean. Hows it run other than the codes ?
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

31 is because your missing the egr solenoid and valve..

I'd also suggest drilling/tapping the #5 intake runner for a act boss. 9/16 drill bit and a 3/8 NTP (National Pipe Thread) tap.

nice build though, very clean.
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Thanks for that information.

It runs great. Plenty of power and still running on stock single exhaust. Gonna work on opening that up soon.

Thanks for the compliments. I thought you guys would like the pics.

What do you think about the egr delete plate? I had a machine shop make that for me. Just a big block with a nice big hole in the middle. I had to do something there because that is where the linkage bracket bolts to.

Comment

a couple of things to point out... all 4.6L engines got a 65mm throttle body from the factory, if you have a 77mm, its an aftermarket unit.

Deleting the EGR will cause problems with the stock programing on the ECM, You will need to have a custom tune done anyway when you go to MAF, Make sure the person doing your tune turns the EGR functions OFF in the programming.

Comment

I measured the throttle body with a ruler. Kinda crude but it worked. It could be 65 but I am pretty sure it is bigger than that. Then again I may not have measured it correctly. Anyway it is way bigger for sure. It was on a '95 Limo so not very much is stock.

I haven't noticed any problems as of yet with the programming but I will keep an eye on that. Right now I am using a Mark VII computer.
                              When I go to MAF I will be using a Mustang computer.
                              I have a contact locally of someone that does custom programming on these Ford computers. I will look him up if I have problems when I go MAF.

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Working...
                              X