Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

swapping in a 155 GPH fuel pump in tomorrow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swapping in a 155 GPH fuel pump in tomorrow...

its a walbro 155lph pump goin into my 91 which i hear is a direct swap in. For the record the stock pump does not adequitely support over 250hp motor. I put my foot to the floor from a rolling 30mph in my 300hp or so merc and the fuel pressure drops like a rock with just 19lb injectors and gives my plugs a nice snow white colour. I know i have heard somewhere that these pumps fed 460's but my pumps with only 50k miles on it can't keep up to our 302's modded up. For anyone who was wondering haha...

anyways i got the gas light to come on and sprayed around some penetrant, read up on the sticky in the tech section. any more tips ya's got for me?
    Last edited by merc91; 01-05-2011, 02:23 AM.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
    its a walbro 155GPH pump goin into my 91 which i hear is a direct swap in. For the record the stock pump does not adequitely support over 250hp motor. I put my foot to the floor from a rolling 30mph in my 300hp or so merc and the fuel pressure drops like a rock with just 19lb injectors and gives my plugs a nice snow white colour. I know i have heard somewhere that these pumps fed 460's but my pumps with only 50k miles on it can't keep up to our 302's modded up. For anyone who was wondering haha...

anyways i got the gas light to come on and sprayed around some penetrant, read up on the sticky in the tech section. any more tips ya's got for me?
    i wish i did and could contribute some helpful info, but thi sisnt somethign i know much about... yet however id love to hear more about your ride mang!
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

buy some new hose...make sure it's high pressure line.

If your car is making that much power I would have gone with a bigger pump. I'm running a 110lph in my 245rwhp motor and it leans out at high rpm.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

thanks zoomie haha, I got to do this bigger pump, than a new built up performance AOD tranny with all the goodies and full manual floor shifter goes in march, than i will get a ton of pics and vids. I have been doin a shit ton to this car but havn't really got to do much sharing on here with being so busy but when the car is done in march i will fill ya's in on everything.

sorry i meant 155lph pump not gph. But i am probly at around 270 or 280 RWHP so i'm thinkin this pump should be able to handle it... i hope so anyways.
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

It's a straight up swap I have a 255lph in my car. Buy a new filter and slap it in there while you're under, it's cheap and easy so why not, ya know?

Also if you haven't already got the new pump, might go with a bigger. These car use a return style fuel system, so they can't really have to big of a pump. They just use what they need and bypass the rest back to the tank.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

i'd keep the old one around for shits and giggles some of the factory ones just never die.
            Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

i cannot get the fittings apart for the fuel lines going into the tank. Thier not hairpin, or duckbill like it says. Both clips have 4 metal prongs inside the hold the line in and i cannot get the line out.

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                i cannot get the fittings apart for the fuel lines going into the tank. Thier not hairpin, or duckbill like it says. Both clips have 4 metal prongs inside the hold the line in and i cannot get the line out.
                youll need a quick dissconnect tool i believe and yep they are a bastard to get out hose it down with PB and let sit for a few hours

Comment

Yup need the tool. And they are a pain, I think I made my finger tips bleed pressing so hard trying to get them to pop.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Spray em out really well with brake cleaner and a air compressor before attempting removal. the tools are cheap, mine were 7 buck Lisle ones and they have lasted well over a decade!
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

need one of these.......they changed the fuel lines in 90

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

There was a user on this site (turbo.......something) that mod'd a Mustang fuel pump to work in a Panther gas tank. I don't know what happened to him or if we can find his old threads, but this would be the person to ask. Though, if the Wal-bro unit is a bolt-in, then I guess you're a good to go.

Packman

Comment

90-91 is a direct bolt in with a mustang pump. The older ones require a little modification to the sleeve that goes around the pump, because the older panther pumps are larger in diameter than a stang pump.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

alrite i used my cheep plastic disconnect pieces and pushed so hard i was just about ready to pass out under thier then the lines came apart. Got it all swapped out and it has added some pepp over 4000RPM but not much of a change under that. Pump is a quiet sucker to.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                              There was a user on this site (turbo.......something) that mod'd a Mustang fuel pump to work in a Panther gas tank. I don't know what happened to him or if we can find his old threads, but this would be the person to ask. Though, if the Wal-bro unit is a bolt-in, then I guess you're a good to go.

Packman
                              turbo2256 is the name here is the engine in his box
                              the guy builds some sick shithttp://s880.photobucket.com/albums/a...=QUADS1004.jpg unfortunatley hes over on cvn dont know why hes not on here but oh well
                              Last edited by zoomie; 01-06-2011, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X