Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same ole question, new situation...tranny fluid change

2001 GM with 44.5k on it.

When should I change the fluid and filter?

The reason I ask is because is...

1. I don't wanna skimp on maintenance and I honestly do not know the suggested intervals.

2. Say I'm going 45mph, when I want to accelerate, sometimes it seems like when I push on the gas, nothing great happens, but as I continue to slowly push the pedal, it really "kicks in" like it's skipping gears. Rather than a smooth but faster acceleration. Other than that, nothing noteworthy at all.

Is Mobil 1 the best choice for fluid and filter?

Thanks for your help guys.

EDIT: I totally meant to type SAME, not Some. Haha
    Last edited by r2t; 01-05-2011, 01:04 PM.
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Every 30,000 miles is the common interval. Get a filter kit with the rubber pan gasket included. I don't think mobil 1 is necessary, but thats me, probably can't hurt it. As long as you change the fluid and filter you should be fine.

Sounds like you might be in overdrive when your stepping on it at 45mph?

Comment

Mobil 1 (Synthetic oils in general) are usually a hot debate topic for many reasons like cost vs. benefit and the potential issues with using it in older engines and having leaks develop and such. The Motorcraft 5w20 (it's a synthetic blend) and Motorcraft filters are a good way to go and can even be found at Walmart for a good price.

Trans fluid and filter changes are a good idea and the 30K interval is what some manufactures recommend. So yes at 44.5K a trans service would probably be a good idea especially if you know it hasn't been done.
      Current stable:
      1984 Ford LTD Crown Vic
      1994 GMC Jimmy 4x4
      1972 Volkswagen Camper Bus
      2000 Ford Windstar

Comment

Originally posted by r2t View Post
        2001 GM with 44.5k on it.

When should I change the fluid and filter?

The reason I ask is because is...

1. I don't wanna skimp on maintenance and I honestly do not know the suggested intervals.

2. Say I'm going 45mph, when I want to accelerate, sometimes it seems like when I push on the gas, nothing great happens, but as I continue to slowly push the pedal, it really "kicks in" like it's skipping gears. Rather than a smooth but faster acceleration. Other than that, nothing noteworthy at all.

Is Mobil 1 the best choice for fluid and filter?

Thanks for your help guys.

EDIT: I totally meant to type SAME, not Some. Haha
        I corrected you title and moved this to the correct forum.

I am not sure what the service interval is on the newer models, but it should be outlined in your owners manual. typically its every 30K

Newer transmissions (4R70W) come equipped with a re-usable pan gasket, so all you need to do replace the filter

DO NOT use Mobil 1 trans fluid, use only Mercon V fluid. dropping the pan and doing a service typically takes 4 qts of fluid. Your car may have a torque converter drain plug, which will allow you to drain all the old fluid out of the converter. if you do this and drop the pan, you will need about 12 qts of fluid.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Ok. Thanks guys and thank you 88GM for the corrections.

Oh and Ford Man...I think you are right. Well I know I have OD engaged. Derp. (In my defense, I am not used to an automatic tranny, much less ones with OD buttons) I'll see how it does when I leave work with OD off.

Also, when is best to change? Cold, drive it for an hour and let it cool a bit, lava hot??? Haha
          Last edited by r2t; 01-05-2011, 04:51 PM.
          '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
          '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Working...
          X