loosing the aod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loosing the aod?

well my car is all stock, just hit 80k around the time this started. TV bushing is fine btw

when i start moving it likes to keep climbing rpms before it'll pop into 2nd gear, if i take my for off the gas tho for a quick sec tho it'll catch fine

sometimes it'll have the same issue going into 3rd but no where near as noticable.

after i get the motor nice and warm and been driving for a while it preforms normally

what should i do to prolong its life before investing in a rebuild i guess?
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

have you checked the fluid level? is it full and red?

if the fluid is low, it will cause similar problems to what you mentioned.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

ya i checked that too, it looks great on the stick
      1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Change the fluid. It will probably quit giving you problems. When it gets thick in the cold, and from age they shift funny.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've had to lift my foot for second gear for a long time but never had the problem with 3rd.. lots and lots of miles on it and has taken quite the beating.
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Change the fluid. It will probably quit giving you problems. When it gets thick in the cold, and from age they shift funny.
            I will agree... service it and things should be better. make sure to drain the torque converter and get all the old fluid out. pull the pan and replace the filter, then refill with fresh fluid, maybe add a quart of something with a seal conditioner, such as trans-X or Lucas.

BTW... VERY important to NOT over-tighten the bolts holding the filter to valve body. spec is 70 inch pounds.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I think the filter bolts being too tight is whats wrong with my Mark VII actually. It didn't start shifting funny until I serviced it, and I did not use a torque wrench when fitting the filter. I used a nutdriver, but its possible I overdid it.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

70 inch pounds... is that just below 6 ft-lbs? I actually have a torque wrench that will do 5 ft-lbs. I know for a fact that I can torque stuff tighter than that with a screwdriver. It clicks so easy at that point.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  70 inch pounds... is that just below 6 ft-lbs? I actually have a torque wrench that will do 5 ft-lbs. I know for a fact that I can torque stuff tighter than that with a screwdriver. It clicks so easy at that point.
                  Yes... its 5.8333333333333333333 FT/lbs too be exact.

Comment

in-lb / 12 = ft-lb.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      in-lb / 12 = ft-lb.
                      that's what I thought. seems that some maths actually work the way it's expected to.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X