Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will an HO mustang fuel pump swap into a 99 crown victoria??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will an HO mustang fuel pump swap into a 99 crown victoria??

All the pictures online that I see has the two pumps "looking" nearly identical. Not sure, maybe the actual width is a different size??

only reason is because my fuel pump in my crown victoria is on the way out and I happen to have a brand new 190 lph walbro fuel pump for an 86-93 mustang sitting in my garage, and I'd LOVE to use that on the crown vic.
    -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
    -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
    -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

As long as the 99 is not a returnless style system I don't see why you couldn't make it fit. I won't say its a direct drop in, but pumps are dead simple things. As long as its attached and the pickup sock sits in the same position (and is hopefully the correct type) you should be fine.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

that's kind what I was thinking too...

summit racing lists the 5.0 fox mustangs as having the same fuel pump as the return style 4.6 mustangs...so the big question is is that the same style as the crown vic. If i had to guess, I'd say yes..Unfortunately summit racing doesn't really list a pump for crown vics.

only thing I can think of is that the retainer that holds it is built to handle a specific width fuel pump...if it's too skinny or too fat that could pose some problems.

I see cheap OEM pumps on ebay for $30...much better than the $100 autozone price. I just don't want to take it all down to find out it won't fit then have to have it apart for a few days while I order a pump online.

Comment

isn't the tank larger on the panthers... so the fuel pickup would be a little short?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yes, but the pump itself slides into the pickup assembly...so I'd re use the old pickup assembly and just put a new round pump into it.

I cross referenced an airtex pump on summitracing and it listed it being compatible with explorer, expedition, crown vic, contour etc...but no mustang...I'm thinking it is different. I think I'll order up a stock replacement off ebay, then when I drop the tank, compare the two...i'll post up my findings...probably in a week or two when I get around to this.

Comment

ah... in that case compare the part numbers for the actual pump and if it's the same... it should work. If not, there's probably some physical size difference.

edit: yeah... just looked... they're different. DOH!
            Last edited by sly; 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X