5r55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5r55

Anyone know if there is a version of the 5R55 (ie, 5r55b, 5r55c, and so on) that will bolt on to a 302? TCI has one that does. However, its $5,000 not including the stand alone computer. I was hoping that there was a home brewed way of doing this. Like pulling out of an exploror or something.
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
    Anyone know if there is a version of the 5R55 (ie, 5r55b, 5r55c, and so on) that will bolt on to a 302? TCI has one that does. However, its $5,000 not including the stand alone computer. I was hoping that there was a home brewed way of doing this. Like pulling out of an exploror or something.
    last time i check the explorer has the 4R70W up to a certain year 06 i belive
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

5 O's got the 4r70w. The last year was '01. 4 6's got the 5 speed starting in '02.

Comment

Explorer with the 5.0 never had a 5r55 that was released on the Explorer in '02 with the 4.6. 4r70w is found in the 5.0 explorer. 6 cylinder mustangs also have the 4r70 with the right bolt pattern. If you get the94/95 mustang computer and repin your connector, you can run EFI and the 4r70w. Since the AODE and the 4R70w are controlled in the same fashion...

Comment

Yeah, but I like the feel of that 5 speed auto. My mothier in law has a V6 mustang 4.0. Its not that fast, but that 5 speed auto feels great. I think it would feel even better with a bad ass 5.0 hooked to it.
          sigpic

Comment

T-45 5-speed swap.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

If you want a 5 speed, put something like ^ he suggested and do an actual 5 speed manual swap. The funny thing is with those 5 speeds, they don't always use all 5 gears, it depends on the conditions. It could go 1345 and skip 2 since 2 is a close ratio to 1st gear, or something along those lines...

Are the 4.0 Liter 6 cylinders using the windsor bellhousing?
              Last edited by 86VickyLX; 01-12-2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Someone probably makes an adapter plate to fit a SBF to a Modular transmission.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just want to do it for the cool factor. It seems that a T45 swap is more complicated.
                  sigpic

Comment

I just want to do it for the cool factor. It seems that a T45 swap is more complicated.

Might be slightly more complex to install. But the 5r55 would require a custom trans controller that costs as much as the trans....if they even make a stand alone controller for it.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      If you want a 5 speed, put something like ^ he suggested and do an actual 5 speed manual swap. The funny thing is with those 5 speeds, they don't always use all 5 gears, it depends on the conditions. It could go 1345 and skip 2 since 2 is a close ratio to 1st gear, or something along those lines...

Are the 4.0 Liter 6 cylinders using the windsor bellhousing?
                      I have to say they hit every gear. There all acceleration gears.

Comment

4.0L doesn't have the same bellhousing.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Check this out.
                          http://www.performanceautomatic.com/...nsmission.html

It has the trans or the adapter
                          sigpic

Comment

For the low, low price of $5400. How do they sleep at night?
                            1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

You could have the gnarliest T56 swap, with all the fixings, all new, for less than that.

And then you'd have 6 speeds.

It'd be nice... if you could buy the adapter and controller for a fair price, and supply the transmission yourself.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X