Electric Water Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Water Pump?

Has anybody here one run of these in a street car? How did that work out? I wonder how these water pumps hold up during the winter? Just curious.

Packman

Originally posted by packman View Post
    Has anybody here one run of these in a street car? How did that work out? I wonder how these water pumps hold up during the winter? Just curious.

Packman
    well i suppose it would run fine, i know a buddy has one for his race truck and it works quite nice, although its a small block chevy 400.
    but from what i can tell if it will handle the abuse from a mudracing truck should handle just fine in winter, i do have another freind of mine who runs ones in his ford powere mudtruck as well
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I thought about one. But I was thinking it might not play nice with the stock fron accessories.

Plus, I'd feel better about a belt driven pump if I was driving the car alot.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

The car is daily driver for my mom. She doesn't drive very far with it, but it's a DD that needs to be able to run at a moments notice. The front accessories can be worked with, I'm not too worried about that.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
          The car is daily driver for my mom. She doesn't drive very far with it, but it's a DD that needs to be able to run at a moments notice. The front accessories can be worked with, I'm not too worried about that.

Packman
          So then how would you drive the alternator, and the power steering pump?
          There really is no point to use an electric water pump. Belt driven pumps are more reliable.

An electric pump to me would be a draw on the electrical system as well, pair that with an electric cooling fan (that would need to be there) and a decent sound system, and everything just starts running stupid (dimming lights etc).

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            So then how would you drive the alternator, and the power steering pump?
            There really is no point to use an electric water pump. Belt driven pumps are more reliable.

An electric pump to me would be a draw on the electrical system as well, pair that with an electric cooling fan (that would need to be there) and a decent sound system, and everything just starts running stupid (dimming lights etc).
            your worried abotu draw with a 3G? lol
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

The fact that only 1 or 2 are even advertised as being "FOR STREET USE", and they say it like it's a big deal, makes me think you'd have reliability issues long-term.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

The main benefit I see in addition to some extra power, is the decreased risk of popping heater cores by revving the engine way up.

With an electric, the water is always moving at the same pace.
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

the Aerospace Components one is the only one i have heard you should use on a daily driven car. I had one but sold it off and never used it.
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

You could probably get away with running the rest of the accessories without the WP pulley, but it might require adding an idler pulley somewhere in the general area of the water pump to get it to work right. My main concern would be reliability on a DD. If it was a weekend warrior / track car it wouldn't be a concern, but not on the car I want to go to work every day in. One neat thing you can do with an electric water pump though is run it and the electric fan with the engine off and cool the motor down completely. Can't do that with a belt driven pump.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                      your worried abotu draw with a 3G? lol
                      Why don't you ask scott about the electric fan on his '92 Grand Marquis. Every time it comes on the lights dim.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        One neat thing you can do with an electric water pump though is run it and the electric fan with the engine off and cool the motor down completely. Can't do that with a belt driven pump.
                        That is a nice feature. Sure speeds up cool down in the pits. It takes only a few minutes to bottom out the temp gauge in the Monte.

By the way way, we have the car on a charger between rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          Why don't you ask scott about the electric fan on his '92 Grand Marquis. Every time it comes on the lights dim.

when I hit the rear defrost so do mine but it bounces right back up to where it was. my 3G is working great as well, 14.4 at idle
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            That is a nice feature. Sure speeds up cool down in the pits. It takes only a few minutes to bottom out the temp gauge in the Monte.

By the way way, we have the car on a charger between rounds.

Not that it matters in the case of a race car like yours, but would you be able to cool the engine like that effectively without it on a charger?
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Maybe on something with a decent charging/ electrical system.

The Monte has a shitty low amp GM alternator, a crappy battery, and a significant voltage drop between the battery (in trunk) and starter due to the cable size.

If you run much of anything without the car running, it gets a little lazy. And a car that won't start in the staging lanes is just a shame.

Where we run, you don't get many runs in a day; we try not to waste any, which is why it stays on the charger between rounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X