Quiet Performance Mufflers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiet Performance Mufflers?

My driver's side muffler is dying. It's a Summit welded Turbo Muff and the inlet pipe separated from the muffler casing. It's not terribly bad, just sounds like an exhaust leak for now. Hopefully I'll be able to get the muffler off of the exhaust without mangling the pipes. I'll probably replace it with the same muffler. However, if I can get the other muff off of the exhaust; I might just get better/more durable mufflers. The dual exhaust system is only 4 years old. So my question is: who makes a quiet performance muffler? I don't care if there's interior drone, just as long as it's quiet on the outside. I heard Dynamax makes decent flowing, but quiet mufflers. What say you?

Packman

Originally posted by packman View Post
    My driver's side muffler is dying. It's a Summit welded Turbo Muff and the inlet pipe separated from the muffler casing. It's not terribly bad, just sounds like an exhaust leak for now. Hopefully I'll be able to get the muffler off of the exhaust without mangling the pipes. I'll probably replace it with the same muffler. However, if I can get the other muff off of the exhaust; I might just get better/more durable mufflers. The dual exhaust system is only 4 years old. So my question is: who makes a quiet performance muffler? I don't care if there's interior drone, just as long as it's quiet on the outside. I heard Dynamax makes decent flowing, but quiet mufflers. What say you?

Packman
    the hush thrush just came back out i heard nothing but good things abou them
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I highly recommend magnaflow. They tend to be quiet until you really get into the throttle. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. I replaced the stock muffler on my 08 4.6 f150 crew cab with one, and is hardly noticeable till i get on it.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
      Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
      Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
      NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Originally posted by Smokestacklightnin View Post
        I highly recommend magnaflow. They tend to be quiet until you really get into the throttle. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. I replaced the stock muffler on my 08 4.6 f150 crew cab with one, and is hardly noticeable till i get on it.
        I second this. My 93 vic and 88 MGM (stock engines) have duals with magnaflows (cats and mufflers) and the vic thumps some at idle (quietly) but will roar when you get in it... the mgm on the other hand will barely make much noise at all at idle and will not make a heck of a lot more noise when you hammer it with that lopo cam in it. It does sound nice IMO though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Magnaflows are pricey, but if they last longer than four years, I will seriously consider them. If they're not quiet enough, I can always throw some glasspacks on the tailpipes.

Packman

Comment

I'm kinda surprised you only got 4 years out of those. My exhaust is about 5 years old and much of it is getting to that 'needs replacing' stage of life, but the mufflers haven't given me any trouble. They're the $15 each cheap of the cheap Summit turbos. I'd expect the welded ones to hold up better than the cheapo ones.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Apparently this one didn't hold up. It's possible that it received an impact or two during the four years. The exhaust does hang kinda low. I'm really thinking about getting under the CV this spring and taking measurements of the current shorty headers and H-pipe. I'll use those measurements to bend and weld a set of longtubes. Perhaps if I do that right, I can tuck the exhaust up a little under the chassis. For now, I'm going to replace the one muffler or go with Magnaflows. I'll probably just get another Summit muff for now. That'll have to wait until there's no more snow left in the driveway.

Packman

Comment

Magnaflows are a straight through muffler. Definately not quiet as far as I'm concerned, especially if you are looking for a muffler to be quiet.

The Walker Super Turbo is about the quietest of the performance muffler segment, but does not come in a stainless steel version if thats a requirement.

Comment

In my opinion, if you want quiet exhaust, do not buy a muffler that is all steel construction. You have to have some sound abating material in order to combat drone, and excessive noise.

I've never used Magnaflows (or quiet performance mufflers for that matter), but they have a great reputation. If you get some with a larger case, they will probably foot the bill perfectly.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Anything 'turbo' muffler is a safe bet for being on the quiet side.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Flowmaster delta 50's. The keep my long tubed cat less 351 quiet enough to not draw any attention
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

My magnaflows are pretty damn quite. Sounds nice when you rev up the engine though.

Currently running mustang headers into mustang h pipe into s10 mids into magnaflows then turndowns. Not loud at all at idle.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I like my dynomax 'hemi' super turbos... the hemi means there 21" instead of 14". Sounds just like super turbos, just a little quieter. You still get a nice balance of engine noise and exhaust noise.

Comment

Do you have any fitment problems with the longer mufflers? I'm gonna need to replace mine, and I might be interested in the hemi superturbos if they fit up ok.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was thinking about the Hemi Super Turbo muffs. Especially if they come in a longer case; it wouldn't be imperative to pull or very carefully cut the old muffs off.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X