how much do your gauges move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much do your gauges move?

ok if you havent seen my previous post i been have voltage problems. well i was wondering how much does your guys volt gauge move when hitting brakes with lights and blower on high?? mine only moves very slightly some times and sometimes it drops alot. i going to rip out my big three i did and put stock wires back in to see but if you could let me know if im worrying about nothing or is it still something
    2001 Grand marquis 85k miles
    Dual 40 series flowmaster exhaust
    20x8 chrome rims Formula 1 Z-rated tires
    In dash 7" touch screen

Hello come on guys am I Just worrying about nothing or what. I just don't remember if mine used to move at all. And if there is anything you guys can think of I might have fried. I prolly going to put back in shop tues. or weds. Any help will be apperciated.
    In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

upgrading your batt cable and ground to a bigger gauge might help also a bigger battery, also make sure all contacts are clean especially in the ground wire
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I posted in the other thread... but basically if it drops a lot (to where the gauge exits the "normal" area or if you have an aftermarket gauge with numbers... below 11V off or 13V running, then you probably have an issue. Either need more battery, upgraded alternator, or the battery connections are having issues somewhere and either corroded or not tight... or there's a loose ground somewhere.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

ok so basicly i prolly making a big deal out of nothing? i mean i dont remember what it used to read before the cooking aciddent lol but i have no amp hooked up just 7" touch screen dvd player. and i dont have gauge with #'s just stock gauge. i do got a volt meter (just a old needle gauge one) i check in driveway tomorrow. i just want to make sure my baby alright. i have allways wanted this car for 10yrs so want to make sure it's ok. i check it tomorrow when i drive to work about 20miles and see what it does and report. i get bonus check this week and going to get new exhaust put on. i'll post about that later thx
          In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

the guy at the shop said he checked all grounds thats were i confused he said are good. only thing i think of is to put smaller wires going to alt, ground, i just hope i freakin out about nothing lol
            In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

Originally posted by cleanmerc01 View Post
              the guy at the shop said he checked all grounds thats were i confused he said are good. only thing i think of is to put smaller wires going to alt, ground, i just hope i freakin out about nothing lol
              smaller wires are bad mmk , what i ment is check and make sure all the ground connections are clean and in good order, alot of times if they are corroded or rusty they have a tendency to act like a resistor and makes it harder to pull current through. another thing i have seen is the wire being rusted inside the cable. if you use a smaller wire on the engine ground theres a good chance it will melt, i tend not to use anything smaller than 6 ga wire on my stuff, 4 ga is best though

Comment

i have 0-gauge wire and i used a torch and sodered the ends on. ty
                hats the only thing i can think of is wires. i put new battery 750cca and new alt on. it's not as bad but it still drops when everything on and hit the brakes. i at a lost now. if i can kick this cold and if it would stop snowing i will change 0-gauge to 4-gauge. so i not sure what else to do. i not sure if i just thinkin this is wrong and it's not?????? i also havent takin to car wash yet to see if volts drop as soon as wayer hits the car so we'll see.
                In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

does anybody know a web site where i can find a wiring diagram for my 01 mgm? i want to check all my grounds myself. also do you guys think something could have happened to the wiring on my starter?? i have no problems with starter i just wondering what else to check. i just wondering is i have a problem with condenser and i have compressor unpluged so not to burn up. and when i get fixed and run defrost or ac i think i will have big drop in voltage
                  In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

you guys think i could have messed up PCM?????
                    In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

Originally posted by cleanmerc01 View Post
                      i have 0-gauge wire and i used a torch and sodered the ends on. ty
                      hats the only thing i can think of is wires. i put new battery 750cca and new alt on. it's not as bad but it still drops when everything on and hit the brakes. i at a lost now. if i can kick this cold and if it would stop snowing i will change 0-gauge to 4-gauge. so i not sure what else to do. i not sure if i just thinkin this is wrong and it's not?????? i also havent takin to car wash yet to see if volts drop as soon as wayer hits the car so we'll see.
                      nah dont switch it,unless you think your drawing too much with that gigantic wire lol, yoou have plenty of juice there, perhaps you may have a too small of a battery, i use nothing less than 1000 amp batteries , also yeah the wire goign to the starter could be corroded, if it going down when you hit the brakes, id check the ABS modual? not sure if its the right term or not im kinda of a newb when it comes to anything past 5.0 stuff, but i do know that there is soemthing that uses electricity in the brakign system, someone more knowlwgeable hopefully will chime in. SVT98t would probably be the best one to be able to answer this alot better than i can.

Comment

yea it drops and goes back up but i getting frustrated lol... i new to this newer car stuff and i know something not right. i can crawl under it this weekend and check wires to starter. i know its a ground issue it has to be. i have it grounded to rad. support and front of block. i think i going to put everything back with 4 gauge. i think there is something wrong with wires lol
                        In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

Check and double check all your grounds take them off clean them with a wire brush and put them back on. When I put the ho in mine I missed a ground and my guage was all over the place. Finally found the ground I missed after a month of trouble shooting and it fixed it.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

thats what im thinking it's a ground i upgraded. but does anybody know where i can get a E.V.T.M for my 01 gmg. electronic. vacum. troubleshooting. manual. a freind of mine who worked at the ford dealship working on fords said if i can get one he beleive i smart enough to fix it. oh and now i know how to work an ohm gauge yea me hahahahahaha i going to learn this new car shit if it kills me or the wife does from all the money i spend lol
                            In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

Just giving an update to my issues. i put the stock wires back on and still the same. I give up it's going to the dealership to get fixed. Man I'm going to go broke over a simple mistake. Cross your fingers for me that it dont cost me too much. It will prolly be worth it to get rid of the headaches and stress. I love my car and dont like to see her limping lol
                              In dash 7" touch screen

Comment

Working...
                              X