Brake light comes on occasionally and brakes feel spongy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake light comes on occasionally and brakes feel spongy

What could be causing this and what can I do to fix it?

Every now and then when I'm braking the brake light comes on until I completely stop, this would have me believe it has something to do with the ABS computer but I don't know for sure. Again, doesn't happen very often though

Also the brakes require quite hard of a press for them to actually work, feels like I'm pressing almost halfway through the range of the pedal before any stopping is done.
    2002 Crown Victoria LX - 124K miles

Check the fluid level. Make sure your system has adequate fluid.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
      Check the fluid level. Make sure your system has adequate fluid.

-ryan s.
      This can be done by checking the master cylinder, correct?

Comment

Yes, check the level in the master cylinder.

If it's an older car, and the fluid level goes down again fairly rapidly, suspect brake line rust.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Probably time for a new brake line...My '92 CV needs one. If driven, it will exhibit the same symptoms.
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Yup. It has lines on the side of it that indict "LOW" and "FULL".
            You may have to wipe off the reservoir to see where the level is. I usually point a bright flashlight down the reservoir and it makes the fluid level very distinguishable.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by j5689 View Post
              What could be causing this and what can I do to fix it?

Every now and then when I'm braking the brake light comes on until I completely stop, this would have me believe it has something to do with the ABS computer but I don't know for sure. Again, doesn't happen very often though

Also the brakes require quite hard of a press for them to actually work, feels like I'm pressing almost halfway through the range of the pedal before any stopping is done.
              Which brake light are we talking about? if it's the red one, you probably have low fluid, check the master cylinder for the fluid level.
              Spongy pedal is normally an indication of air in the system. Bleed the brakes, and pray to god the ABS (if you have it) controller isn't air locked.

Comment

Yeah it's the red one.

And I'll check the levels tomorrow, it's quarter to 1 in the morning, freezing outside, and I don't trust my alarm to not go off again when I open my door (but that's for another thread).

Comment

Red light has nothing to do with the ABS system btw.

That light will come on if the fluid level is low, the parking brake is on, or if there is a difference in pressure between the front and rear brakes...

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    Red light has nothing to do with the ABS system btw.

That light will come on if the fluid level is low, the parking brake is on, or if there is a difference in pressure between the front and rear brakes...
                    Ah O.K., good to know

I just checked it and the fluid is definitely not at the max line, it's a little bit above what looks to be a seal between the top and bottom half of the cylinder.

So is it safe to just top it off with some more brake fluid or do I have to bleed the system and replace it?

And is there any particular type of brake fluid I should be using? I don't have the original stuff.

Comment

Does anybody have any recommendations on brake fluid?

Comment

DOT 3 or 4....I don't think DOT 5 will work
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                          DOT 3 or 4....I don't think DOT 5 will work
                          From what I've researched DOT 5.1 would also work but it's obviously not worth the extra money for what I use it for.

I'm not sure what I currently have in the reservoir. What can I top it off with just to be safe?

Comment

3 or 4 will mix with each other
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I use 3 (since that's what the cap on the reservoir says).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X