Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'01 GM -About to r&r rear brakes. Can the rotors be turned or should I replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'01 GM -About to r&r rear brakes. Can the rotors be turned or should I replace?

Title says it all. I have an '01 GM with just over 45k on it. The rear brakes are squeaking. Do the stock rotors usually have enough mics left to turn them one time or are they pretty much "one and done" and need to be replaced?
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

I always reuse mine. Unless they're warped. Or missing. Or absolute failure...
    There was a time, a few years ago, when the rotors were only like $20 a piece, so I considered those to be throw away items. But I think times have changed a bit.
    And if they look like this, don't reuse them:

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Ahahahahaha ok.

Well after $40 off $100 discount code, I am paying $22 per rotor, might as well replace cuz the cost to turn them would be almost as much and without the hassle.
      '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Sounds like a great deal mang!!
        Good luck!

-ryan s.
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Also, does anyone have experience with Advance Auto's Wearever brand rotors? Are they cheap and easily warped? I can order Wagner but the price difference is Wagner $51 & Wearever $34.

Thx, Ryan!
          '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

I get the cheap ones. The Wearever ones. The set I have now has been doing exceptionally well. They still make the car stop!
            But don't let me stop you from getting the good ones if you want!

-ryan s.
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Well shit, I guess I will buy the Wearevers and save $20 then. Haha

It's really gonna matter when it comes to the front cuz the difference between Wearever and Wagner is $40 per rotor.
              '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

I always check Rock too, they're not always the cheapest but often are. I buy cheapies for the back but good ones for the front.

Pete
                Originally posted by gadget73
                For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

That looks photoshopped.

Comment

No photoshopping. That's a REAL caliper seizing on my REAL car. Ultra-FAIL.

-ryan s.
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Working...
                    X