Audio/sub/amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio/sub/amp question

Hey guys, i am looking at pairing this subwoofer: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SE-1220SE.html

with this amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KAC-8104D.html

The impedance of the woofer is 2 ohms...300 watts rms. 1200 peak

however the amp is rated at 500 watts rms at 2 ohms.

I dont intend to turn this thing any where near max (perhaps half input sensitivity and half bass boost of the total its capable of.)

my question is am i safe doing this?? I like the specs and reviews of both products and cant seem to find another satisfiable amp..

Thank!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

woops this is totally in the wrong section...my bad, mods can you please move it?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Generally you want the speaker to be rated for at least as much as the amp is, if not more. You can have more amp than the speaker will deal with, but you have to be careful about pegging the volume out. Smoke can and will come out of a speaker, and it really stinks when that happens. Literally. If you've ever melted down a speaker, it emits a rather unpleasant odor.

and I'm gonna take a total WAG and figure this is for your box, so off to the box audio area with it. If its not, lets just pretend it is shall we?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks!

Yeah i know...i don't want to fry anything...i suppose i will keep looking. really liked the woofer though.
        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          Hey guys, i am looking at pairing this subwoofer: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SE-1220SE.html

with this amp: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KAC-8104D.html

The impedance of the woofer is 2 ohms...300 watts rms. 1200 peak

however the amp is rated at 500 watts rms at 2 ohms.

I dont intend to turn this thing any where near max (perhaps half input sensitivity and half bass boost of the total its capable of.)

my question is am i safe doing this?? I like the specs and reviews of both products and cant seem to find another satisfiable amp..

Thank!
          welll i can tell you that the sub is junk, i used to work for ABC wharehouse as an installer and the infinities subs arnt all they are crakced ou to be, same goes for kenwood ampslast one i put in could barley make a set of fosgate P1 subs go thump. they(infinity) do however make bitchen amplifiers

here might be something a bit better and will hit waaay harder and clean http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-DEV-3500.html amp

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...VI-2000.4.html sub
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-P3L-1X12.html

this would be an almost perfect match for the amp (keep in mind this system will produce far more decibels than i want for the average day so i will keep it turned down a decent amount)

it's a bit pricier but from what i know rockford fosgate tends to make good stuff.

or have a heard wrong?
            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Zoomie, those are way more hard core than i want lol.

not looking for anything more than 600 watts rms 1200 watts peak.

but thanks for the heads up on the infinity woofer!
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Zoomie, those are way more hard core than i want lol.

not looking for anything more than 600 watts rms 1200 watts peak.

but thanks for the heads up on the infinity woofer!
                they cost about the same as the ones you were looking at lol however i can find you a deently priced amp and sub combo just give me a few min

Comment

haha okay. i'd really like to not spend more than 300 bux on this setup...
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io-db1240.html sub the DB series is awsome if you like clean audio

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-HFi1000D.html this amp will do what you ask of it just feed it 4 ga wire both power and ground, it also gives you room to expand if you decide to go with a alpine type R (which i reccomend ) or something.

Comment

they look good. i really dont have time to mess around with box sizes or making my own any more though. so i really need the sub to be in a predesigned amp...

what did you think of the rockford sub?
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

they look good. i really dont have time to mess around with box sizes or making my own any more though. so i really need the sub to be in a predesigned amp...

what did you think of the rockford sub?
                        overpriced for what you get in my opinion , unless you get a an oldschool amp or spend an ungodly amount of money on it the new fosgate stuff sucketh.

also fo you want i can build you a custom box mang will cost you price of the material, and shipping

Comment

build your own sub box. it will save you a lot of money. take a look at the pics in my profile if you need some ideas. having a big amp behind your sub is better than having an underpowered one. the amp will tend to distort at higher volumes if its on the smaller side. more power lets you tune your subs to a lower freq. it allows you to "tune" the system to your liking better. just keep an eye on how your sub handles the power. stay with a monoblock amp. they just work better on subs. for "boom" get a ported box, for tight controlled sound get a sealed box. one ten inch in a sealed box will add just enough to make a factory system sound good. a single twelve sounds better, but bigger tends to be sloppier. you really do get what you pay for. it all depends on what you want this system to do. look at your local pawn and loan stores too. many cheap set ups can be had at these fine establishments.
                          What happened here?

Comment

Working...
                          X