Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some lights not working

There's some of my lights that didn't pass inspection:

Neither one of my front marker lights are working(the ones one the side with the turn signals), would the bulbs be causing this or could it be something else like the harness? And I'm not sure if there's more than just the turn signal in that assembly or if there's another light that comes on with the headlights but if there is, that doesn't come on either, nothing in it does.

It also said the 3rd brake light on the left side isn't working. I'm not sure if it meant on of the bulbs on my left light or the left side of my actual 3rd brake light not working, I'll have to check it out. More likely it's the 2nd one, so I'm guessing I need either a new bulb or a new assembly but maybe somebody has more input.

Edit: They did mean the left side of the 3rd brake light, I'm gonna see if I can find that particular bulb on the Ford parts website.
    Last edited by j5689; 01-20-2011, 08:45 PM.
    2002 Crown Victoria LX - 124K miles

Alright I've found out which bulb I need for the 3rd brake light:

D7TZ-13466-A

Just need to find a good place to get it or what type it is to get it from a good aftermarket brand.

Edit: O.K. that's all figured out, bulb type is 912 and I'm going to get the Sylvania 912LL (long life) from Track Auto tomorrow for ~ 5$ after tax. vs paying ~3.50 plus $5.50 shipping on Amazon.

Anyone know why the marker lights wouldn't be working though?
    Last edited by j5689; 01-20-2011, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I'd try the side marker bulbs first, you might get lucky.

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Sounds like a plan

Comment

Well I went and got the 912 bulbs, and simply unscrewed the third brake light housing, took out the assembly that bulbs go into and cut my thumb and middle finger on the plastic, and replaced them. Sure enough the one that was out had a broken filament. Tested it with the housing unscrewed and turned around and both of the new bulbs work nice and bright. 2 things down, 4 to go to pass inspection

I was also gonna install the 194A bulbs I got to see if it was the bulbs in the side marker but it turns out you have to remove the entire assembly, and it totally figures I have pretty much every socket except an 11mm. My mom is about to go out with her friends so I have nobody to drive with. Strongly debating walking to Sears and back to get it but it's gotta be like an 18 degree wind chill out there.

Comment

Bought my own 1/4" drive 10-socket set which included an 11mm socket and a 12mm, since I'll apparently need that later for the driveshaft. I got the new 194NA bulbs installed, turns out they weren't the problem. What do I check next?

In addition to that, the place where the screw goes into the outside on my right sidemarker has fallen apart so that the screw isn't doing much more than keeping the whole thing from pivoting out of place, fortunately the nut on the inside of the assembly is doing a pretty good job of keeping everything on and in place, but overall I think it's gonna have to be replaced at some point.

Comment

you'll need an impact 12 point 12mm socket for the spider gear bolts (unless that's changed in the last 18 years - newest panther I've seen at that angle is my 93). Some standard 12mm socket will most likely shatter. Those bolts are put on with loc-tite AND tightened down pretty good too. They do NOT like to let go.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                you'll need an impact 12 point 12mm socket for the spider gear bolts (unless that's changed in the last 18 years - newest panther I've seen at that angle is my 93). Some standard 12mm socket will most likely shatter. Those bolts are put on with loc-tite AND tightened down pretty good too. They do NOT like to let go.
                I'm guessing that means on both my car and the Interceptor I rip it off, plus the extra rust that will probably be on the Interceptor.

Comment

yeah... a break-over bar and cheater stick (pipe that fits over said break-over bar) would also be useful for breaking those things free.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, it's all a while away anyway

What should I check now to see if it's causing my sidemarkers to stop working and how should I do it?

Comment

not gonna get driveshaft bolts out with a 1/4" socket.......i've shattered 3/8" sockets and 12 point wrenches already

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Makes that 13$ seem like something of a waste but thanks for the advice. I guess it'll still be useful for smaller spaces like that one, even though it didn't really do anything at all as far as I could tell. It's probably cuz that 1/4" is from at least the early 90s if not way older. Just ended up using my fingers and the rubber handle on a pair of needle nose pliers, they really ought to make a specialized finger tool like that or something if they don't already.

Update on the lights:

Turns out I was wrong, it WAS the bulbs, I was just expecting the sidemarkers to work as turn signals and not as constant yellow lights that run with the headlight circuit. Then again the word sidemarker should tell me I guess, lol. Just a question though is it supposed to light up the whole assembly or just the front half of it, cuz this is what it looks like and for some reason that doesn't come across as looking right to me, keep in mind this is not a Police Interceptor(hence the need for a new driveshaft) so it doesn't have a bulb in the rear half of it, there's just a rubber plug on top of it:

Comment

Alright, last two bulb questions(first one is most important):

What kind of bulb does the trunk light on a whale-body use? For whatever reason Sylvania is saying it's a 212-2 which is definitely not right because those look like fuses and I've checked the trunk light bulb before, it's a regular bulb shape.

My trunk light hasn't worked since I bought it and that's obviously not good for night.

Also does anyone know where the connector is for the glove box light? Apparently I don't even have the assembly for that and there's not a trace that it was ever there from what I can see in the glove box.

Comment

The bigger 917 type bulbs? It's a gravity switch. I had to replace mine before.
                            Some models came with 2 side marker bulbs; one to flash, and one to just light up. My 92 had that, but my 93 doesn't. Odd.

Good luck!

-ryan s.
                            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                            Originally posted by pantera77
                            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                              The bigger 917 type bulbs? It's a gravity switch. I had to replace mine before.
                              Some models came with 2 side marker bulbs; one to flash, and one to just light up. My 92 had that, but my 93 doesn't. Odd.

Good luck!

-ryan s.
                              So the trunk light uses a 917 bulb?

Comment

Working...
                              X