Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally i found a way on how to get rid of AOD Shuffle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally i found a way on how to get rid of AOD Shuffle.

Well for the last 2 month i did a tranny fluid change. I used Valvoline Max Life Tranny Fluid dex/Merc a red container. recently after doing that fluid change the transmission acts totally new. There is no shuffle between 3rd to 4th also you don't get that 2nd into 3rd gear rough shift. All the gears shift smoothly. I recommend using this in our cars. I am very pleased with the results. i recommend doing a tranny flush and/or tranny filter replace when adding the stuff for max results. anyone else try this fluid and have these results.
    Last edited by MattsLincoln; 01-20-2011, 09:14 PM.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
    Well for the last 2 month i did a tranny fluid change. I used Valvoline Max Life Tranny Fluid dex/Merc a red container. recently after doing that fluid change the transmission acts totally new. There is no shuffle between 3rd to 4th also you don't get that 2nd into 3rd gear rough shift. All the gears shift smoothly. I recommend using this in our cars. I am very pleased with the results. i recommend doing a tranny flush and/or tranny filter replace when adding the stuff for max results. anyone else try this fluid and have these results.
    nope i use merc V
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Hi matt, when you say you did a tranny fluid change did you use a hose to suck the old fluid via the dipstick tube or did you drop the pan and also drain the torque converter?
      I want to do this in the summer and replace all the fluid and new filter and new gasket and maybe even add an aftermarket drain plug onto the tranny pan.
      Thanks

Comment

i drained the pan and the torque converter. I let it go through the system for about 2 to 3 months and then i got smooth shifts. Let it go through for a while to see the affects.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

merc v FTW!
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

the tranny fluid i use is dexron/Mercon V just has additives to help transmission with over 75,000 miles on them. i dont think it would be a bad idea to run it on low mileage boxes. may even help them in the future. i use to run mercon v in mine until i found this max life atf.

Comment

Are you sure you aren't confusing a 'soft smooth' shift with a slipping shift?
                The shifts in my 91 got 'soft' after servicing it, and then soon gave up all together. It was having issues already though.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

no im saying these are smooth shift no slipping whatsoever. no rpm slippage.

Comment

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I put a gang of magnets in my tranny pan from the electronic supply store, keeps the fluid nice and clean!

Comment

My understanding is that the AOD shuffle is more for holding 2nd gear past the normal 4200ish shift point, since a modified or HO engine has a power peak higher than that. Firmer shifts are nice but I don't really understand why they would eliminate the need for the 1-d-1 shuffle.

Anyways, found an interesting tidbit on how to make the "shuffle" less destructive from here: http://www.alternativeauto.com/water...hives/aod.html

Another practice that is detrimental to the OD band is the shifting from 1 to D then immediately back to 1 to hold the trans in 2nd gear. Shifting 2nd gear manually this way engages the OD band while the shifter is being pulled back into 1. The trans does this to achieve a braking affect upon declaration while in 2nd. The OD band engages before the 2nd gear clutch during that 1 to D then back to 1 manual shifting and the OD band is too weak for that type of load, so it wears prematurely and loses its clamping power. To avoid this problem when manually shifting from 1st to 2nd, move the shifter to D to engage 2nd and then wait a second for the shift to be completed, then pull it back into 1 to hold it until it's time to shift into 3rd. This way, the OD band engages after the shift has already occurred and posses no load at that point. When you're ready for 3rd, simply move the stick into D.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                        X