96 grand marquis stall when put in drive - very cold here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 grand marquis stall when put in drive - very cold here

hi all, I am new to this forum. I just bought 1996 grand marquis with 140k miles. runs and drives great. its very cold here. yesterday when I started it, it idle fine for few minutes. and then when I put it into drive it stalled......was very hard to start again (had to floor the gas pedal) and then idled fine again and then same problem. at third try it didn't stall when put in drive and it run fine after that.......Is the very cold weather doing something or is it related to IAC valve? or is transmission solenoid sticking?any help really appreciated. thanks in advance.

sounds like the transmission may need a fluid/filter change. It's almost as if the torque converter is sludged up. Check the fluid on the dipstick. if it's anything except red (dark red, brown, black) get that transmission serviced.

check your spark wires. Make sure they're pushed all the way down on the plugs. I've been in a 4.6L vehicle that would run and drive (warm weather) with only 5 wires connected.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

welcome to gmn!
      1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
      1994 MGM GS Montigua
      2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by u980136 View Post
        hi all, I am new to this forum. I just bought 1996 grand marquis with 140k miles. runs and drives great. its very cold here. yesterday when I started it, it idle fine for few minutes. and then when I put it into drive it stalled......was very hard to start again (had to floor the gas pedal) and then idled fine again and then same problem. at third try it didn't stall when put in drive and it run fine after that.......Is the very cold weather doing something or is it related to IAC valve? or is transmission solenoid sticking?any help really appreciated. thanks in advance.

Need to install a new IAC.. common problem on that model.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
        X