adjustable fuel regulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjustable fuel regulator?

i'm running very close or slightly over the limit of my 19lb injectors that are said to be good to 300hp. The plugs are a good tan colour and i just put in a 155 lph fuel pump. It's not running lean all the time, its just the high demand at 5500 RPM's that its cutting it close.

If i throw in an adjustable fuel regulator and bump up the pressure say 10psi, that will extend my injectors flow limit a little, and will the ecu still be able to back them off at "normal" driving conditions and idle so i'm not runing rich... but still have the extra little capacity available at high rpm?
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

sounds like you need step up to 24 pounders or at least 21 lb injectors mang
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I was going to recommend a better FPR to you a while ago. Larger injectors would be the correct fix for your issue, though.

A decent FPR is a great idea, though.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

yeah, i was planning on using a stock HO cam, but things changed and the comp XE258 found its way in, and then porting began... then before you know it the orange 19's are topping out.

I got the ecu and mass air and the whole motor running real nice as is, and i don't really want to screw it up with different maf sensors and bigger injectors, just maybe add a little kick to what i got because it doesn't need much.

But would an aftermarket regulator help me on the high end, without running me rich on the low end?
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

if you set up injectors need to get a mass air thats caabrated to that pound inj.
          sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
          87 mercury grand marquis
          88 crown vic lx
          89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
          89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
          00 ford crown vic lx hpp
          03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

It shouldnt run rich on the low end. It only uses as much fuel as the ecu tells it.
            It will help but it may only take your injectors from 95% duty cycle to 90% the wrong way to fix the problem IMO. Injectors and a mass air meter is the right thing, granted an adjustable FPR is a must anyway, but just consider it a prelude to injectors and a new meter.

Side question do you have a wide band on it to know its lean? If not how do you know its leaning out up top if your plugs are reading good. You might get a new set of plugs and do a high rpm run and kill the car and coast to the side of the road and read them see what they look like right after high rpm use.

edit: http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1218405
            Last edited by 1980c10; 01-22-2011, 08:25 PM.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

Or..... Get injectors and have it tuned. Which is the CORRECT way-AND as a added bonus you get even more HP because the timing can be bumped up and everything else tweaked.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Fix your bad injector first and then see if you still have issues.

The ECM will tolerate extra pressure to a point, but if you go too high the ecm can't adjust and the engine will constantly run rich. I don't know what the particular limit is, but I'd try 5 psi first and see what that gets you.

And yeah, bigger injectors and a tune is the better way to do it vs the "tuned" mass air meters.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i would love to get 24's and get a dyno tune... a dyno tune would be great with all the different brands and parts that are pieced together on this motor. I just need to use the money for the tranny because its usless behind this motor.

I will be done college in april and should be into a decent paying job... at which point i am going to be building and putting in a nice 351 stroker so this is just a motor for toying with until that time comes.

I think i will just try swapping my stuck open injector for starters of course, than i guess bump up the fuel pressure 7 or 8 psi and call it good. Swapped out my EGR yesterday too... damn thing was stuck wide open for the last month haha... that sure as hell helps things.

Comment

Mark 8's came stock with 24's, I just swapped some into the Exploder engine I pulled today. I already had 19's here at the house, but when I get the stuff to tune my car I plan to swap in the 24's. Also, if you just swap in 24's, you WILL run richer everywhere. It's difficult for me to speculate on an ECU with which I have no experience, so I can't say how well the O2's will compensate, nor can I say whether or not they utilize closed loop at an idle. I suppose if you can manage to smuggle some Mark 8 injectors out of your local junkyard, you could swap them in and see what happens. I plan to just give the fuel pressure a slight bump myself to get the GT40P setup running decent on speed density, I hate MAF.
                    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

They can't compensate enough. There is an adaptive limit. I've already tried it. SD 24's and a cam ran kinda crappy. Even with an adjustable fpr.

Comment

Only way to really do that with SD is to tune it so the ECM knows it has a 24# injector. I think its been proven that you can run a 21# injector on SD without it going stupid. I think some GM vehicles came with those. Not sure if its even worth seeking out though, you can simply bump the fuel pressure and get the same effect.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                          They can't compensate enough. There is an adaptive limit. I've already tried it. SD 24's and a cam ran kinda crappy. Even with an adjustable fpr.
                          I don't doubt it for a second, I was just mentioning where to get 24#ers on the cheap. Do any of you guys own a wideband? I just don't get the guys that will blow money on motors, cams, gears, etc and not get a wideband to see what's up with their motor. Takes the guesswork right out of it. I tuned my carb with a wideband, I live and die by the thing. My truck has one permanently installed.
                          1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

mine were out of some FWD v8 lincoln. Dont need a WB when the narrowband and an ECU (and a tuner) can do more for you.

I don't understand why people spend tons of money building a motor and leave the stock gears and trans. But since everyone does I get to keep my records

Comment

WB /= NB, sorry. They're OK for measuring stoich, but after that they have 0 resolution.

Comment

Working...
                              X