remote car starters - edumecate me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remote car starters - edumecate me

I don't know the first thing about these damn things. What would it take to put one in my '88? What is involved in an installation? What parts are needed? Any info is appreciated.

Every thing you need to know is right here in my head.
    The install is not a hard one on an 88 but it is time consuming.
    if you never done it before. provided there it no factory theft system
    Which there shouldn't because I don't think they were available in 1988
    on our cars. Mostly all the connections will be done under the dash at the
    ignition harness. But not all of them other connections will depend on
    what remote start system you purchase and what features it has and what features you want

Comment

Did you install one on your Merc Chachi? I would also like to get that.

Comment

nate has one too

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
          nate has one too
          I sure do and i love it.. But soon i will be goin carb and i wont have it anymore. Unless Chaci know how to make it owrk on a carb car...

The Best
          Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Yeah setup a solenoid to pump your gas for ya
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You could install a cold start injector like old EFI systems had. Basicly they fire a shot of gas in the manifold while cranking so the motor starts.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i dont think ill ever install one in any car, the 100dollar racer had one, and one day i used it, put the key in moved the car, closed the door and locked the keys in while it was runnin so had to take the BFScrewDriver to the lock

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
                  i dont think ill ever install one in any car, the 100dollar racer had one, and one day i used it, put the key in moved the car, closed the door and locked the keys in while it was runnin so had to take the BFScrewDriver to the lock
                  How is that the fault of the remote start?

Comment

Will a remote starter work on a CFI? I know they like to have the pedal pushed before starting when cold.
                    2000 Grand Marquis LS
                    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                    Mercury Owners Group member
                    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

I have a CFI and it works..
                      The Best

Comment

Id like to do this too one day. Ill also have a carb. Gotta fix the power locks and stuff first though. My buddy had his installed for about 100 bux at a shop.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS
                        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

It’s recommended to not install them on carbureted vehicles but if it will start without touching the gas then a remote starter will work. I have also heard stories from other installers about installing actuators onto the throttle to give it one pump of gas before cranking. I don't have one on my merc, but i have one on my exploder and my wifes cavy. And i've done thousands of others.
                          some r/s systems have a feature called ignition controlled door locks. many people have locked there keys in there car because they don't know how this feature works. this faeture if equiped can be disabled or just do not connect the keyless entry option

Comment

Originally posted by NATEHAWK
                            I have a CFI and it works..
                            Even in teh winter?, coolness..
                            2000 Grand Marquis LS
                            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                            Mercury Owners Group member
                            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Yeap.. Some times it might not start but that every now and then. I have a guy who will be installin a actuator for me like Chaci said to give it one pump of gas before it starts.
                              The Best

Comment

Working...
                              X