Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good jack-stand recommendations?

Couldn't find a better place to put this thread or I would've

I'm obviously going to need a real one or several for the stuff I plan to do with my car.

If possible:
    I want one(s) that works good on a non flat surface, as I will probably be doing most of my work in my driveway, and also small and convenient to store, there's not much room in my garage to store it because my mom parks her car in there.

Also should be easy to use if they're not usually because I've never used one before
    2002 Crown Victoria LX - 124K miles

Rhino ramps?

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

be careful mang
      1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
      1994 MGM GS Montigua
      2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I saw a neat Instructables or something where a guy made his own nonadjustable jackstands out of some 3.5" tubing he got cheap from a scrapyard. He made his stands with three legs so they'll still sit nicely on uneven surfaces, and cut them to a height he found convenient.

Ramps work good so long as you're careful, but not a lot of options in terms of height, and I've had traction problems (both tire-to-ramp and ramp-to-pavement) that made getting on them aggravating at times. Don't lose the little rubber blocks that like to jump out and fall into a black hole.

Normal 3-ton stands are pretty much the minimum in terms of stability and max height, and they can be had cheap if you don't just run out to the place most likely to overcharge you and buy the first set you see. Lighter-duty stands like 1.5 or 2 ton quickly get frustrating just because they won't go very high. I'm currently working on how to acquire some 6-ton stands for cheap, not because I have any need for the weight capacity, but because they go higher and have broader bases. 12-ton truck stands go really high, but cost a lot and you might have trouble getting the car high enough with a normal floor jack.

Also, I've noticed that 4x4 forums seem to have periodic discussions on innovative homemade jackstand solutions, such as the various guys at Pirate4x4 or whatever it is who've used 1" ACME threaded rod to create micro-adjustable stands that can be used to level the vehicle once it's in the air. Other guys bought regular 3-ton stands and welded extensions to the bases, and some bought tall adjustable stands normally used by pipefitters. Interesting stuff.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

i like 6 ton stands because they have a larger base......if you ever set a panther up high on four three ton stands you see what i mean

be very carefull on an unlevel surface......is it paved?
          if not paved, put some thick steel plate under the stands so they dont sink into the ground and fall over

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            i like 6 ton stands because they have a larger base......if you ever set a panther up high on four three ton stands you see what i mean

be very carefull on an unlevel surface......is it paved?
            if not paved, put some thick steel plate under the stands so they dont sink into the ground and fall over
            Yes, quite scary with 3-ton stands at max height.

Can't forget the possibility of sinking into asphalt, either. Asphalt is teh suck, especially if fuel and stuff start dissolving the tar and making it penetrate into your clothes.

Comment

with asphalt you can get away with a chunk of plywood to keep the stand from sinking in though. You can actually use that on dirt, just need about a 2x2 square of something thick. 3/4" or thicker ideally.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by j5689 View Post
                Couldn't find a better place to put this thread or I would've

I'm obviously going to need a real one or several for the stuff I plan to do with my car.

If possible:
                I want one(s) that works good on a non flat surface, as I will probably be doing most of my work in my driveway, and also small and convenient to store, there's not much room in my garage to store it because my mom parks her car in there.

Also should be easy to use if they're not usually because I've never used one before
                No such thing as one that works on a non flat surface, I've used plywood under them to keep them from sinking. (Stone and dirt driveway at home)
                Jackstands are easy to use.
                Also, the higher the ton-age, the wider the base. So just some food for thought when you're going searching for stands.

Comment

Not sure what your budget is, but......
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Norco...motiveQ5fTools

2003 Mercury Marauder 300A - Black on Black, Original Owner 70xxx miles. 1 of 470 Canadian Marauder built!
                  Mods: Martyo Fender badges, JLT CAI, SS Inserts
                  Click on the Marauder for more pictures and stats!

Comment

Max height 15-1/2 inches? Why would he want to spend $200 on a set of stands that are no taller than 1.5 ton stands that go for $15 a pair?

The 6-ton stands Scott and I are referring to are under $100 for a set of four:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-j...set-38847.html
                    http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle...-stand-1161621
                    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._T|GRP2042____

I'm thinking on ordering the ones from Advance because I have a $20 discount code and shipping on an $80 order is free .....
                    Last edited by 1987cp; 01-31-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Big heavy jack stands FTW!

I don't think I have the balls to crawl under a car on stands I made myself.

Pete
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I have a set of 3 tons, and they're barely tall enough to be useful. They also don't feel me with warm fuzzy feelings on that 6x6" base they have. The 6 tons with the 12x12 base are a lot less scary and much more useful.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My dad has a ton of jack stands. Everything from small ones (3 ton), right up to 20 ton pieces.

Some go really high, which is nice for when you want to get the whole car up in the air.

There are no brands on any of them, though. Generally, I can look at something and know whether it;d be acceptable for me to use or not.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Logs.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              Logs.
                              I second this. Especially on dirt mud and gravel. I have a bunch of 2.5ft wide 1 ft thick pine slabs that i slide under my cars. I got the front end of my tercel wagon on two right now. Pulled the transmission out without a single worry. With my 78 LTD on those slabs, it doesnt move around either and when i switched out the gas tank, I made sure to have those slabs cause normal jackstands, scared me.

Railroad ties are also good. But very heavy. The beauty of those slabs I have, they weigh 250#s each easily. So weight this winter wasnt in short supply.

Heres a vid showing one of the slabs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTpl99Ti6s

Comment

Working...
                              X