Lightning 351 swap feasibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightning 351 swap feasibility?

I've come across a fairly cheap 351 from a earlier Lightning and am wondering if its feasible, well, moreso is it reasonable to want to swap this into an 89 marq? Or is a plane jane 351 a better bet?

It'll fit. No problem. You'll need a different AC bracket, not sure about the alternator bracket. If the whole engine is there, Intake to oil pan, go for it! Though you'll probably need a different oil pan, since I think the truck ones are different? Might be wrong on that.

Comment

Put all the panther accesories on the lightning motor, get a oil pan for a 351 car, and probably 351 swap shorty headers for a mustang.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

bbk 351w swap headers for a mustang
        ac brackets from a 351 panther
        351 dual sump oil pan and pickup (theres a reasonably priced 351 swap pan from ford racing)

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

You WILL need a new exhaust since the 351 is wider than the 302.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            You WILL need a new exhaust since the 351 is wider than the 302.
            Not according to my experience (with BBK 1511s). Others' experience seems to vary, though, even with the exact same engine and shorties on the exact same car. Go figure.

Isn't the Lightning intake the one that's supposedly somewhat desirable (for those wishing to run a 351 with a factory SEFI intake) because it clears the hood on a sedan?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Isn't the Lightning intake the one that's supposedly somewhat desirable (for those wishing to run a 351 with a factory SEFI intake) because it clears the hood on a sedan?
              Lightning lower and either Lightning (GT40) upper or Explorer upper will clear. The tube GT40 intake may be a little taller but the Explorer should clear for certain. I haven't looked at them in a while (GT40).

Comment

The purpose of 351 swap headers is to allow use of a 302 H/X pipe without any special mods. Mind you they're geared towards Mustangs, so I expect it won't quite line up to stock Panther pipes.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The lightning intake is said to fit. There are intake measurements in my 351 swap intake thoughts thread, if you are interested.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Heritic has a Lightning powered box. Dunno if he ever got the car running. In any event he would know what parts to use and what fits. That is my goal for the CV. Just with aftermarket goodies.

Packman

Comment

i would think if a tubular gt40 intake clears a sn95 then there should be no issue clearing a panther hood. also you will need either a modded EGR spacer or a stock gen 1 lightning EGR spacer in order to run either the gt40 explorer or the gt40 tubular
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I know of a guy, who has 2 Crown Vic wagons, with lightning 351w in them. He's one of the people in charge of Liberty Engine parts. He's done it and it looks stock. I've tried to get him to join GMN but he hasn't yet.

Comment

What ecu would one use? Obd1 lightning? Mark 7?

Comment

probably want to do mass air with that. Mustang stuff is most favorable.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              probably want to do mass air with that. Mustang stuff is most favorable.
                              Yeah I hear that. Its a lot cheaper to not switch over though. Would it be possible to plug in a lightning ECU even if its not ideal? If I have yo I guess ill bite the bullet and just go mass air

Comment

Working...
                              X