possibly stupid emissions/aftermarket heads question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possibly stupid emissions/aftermarket heads question

so "stage II" of my build (that one I haven't assembled stage I of) will be based around the fitment of aftermarket heads, and anyone whose listened to me ramble on will know I'm going to great lengths to keep everything looking and functioning as it did from the factory, or at least some ford factory.

My question is:

Do the "smog legal" AFR185 and/or TFS185 heads have a way for me to hook up my smog pump? They're 50 state legal, and I assume California wouldn't put up with dummied or removed smog pumps, but I can't see any evidence of smog hole in the pictures I've found.

Also, if not:
    Would I retain some semblance of emissions compliance/friendliness by hooking the piping that did go to the back of the head to the oxygen sensor holes ahead of the cats?

Also also: What actually controls the smog pump functions (on/off and diversion to the head vs. cats) on a variable venturi car and how do I hack it up to work with a conventional DSII/4-barrel system?

Also also also: "rip that shit out" is not a constructive answer.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

do you have the primary and secondary air charge tubes? im sure if you ran the secondary pipes to the cats and caped off the primary tubes(in a clean fashion), you could get away with using any head you want. i ask if you have both primary and secondary is, some cars have both and some have just a primary. like my cars, only my wagon has both systems.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Could try calling a TFS dealer and asking. I think Camshaft Innovations is open for business again (or so I've heard); they're a Trick Flow dealer, and I understand they've helped create some very quick vehicles that are still compliant to the whims of the smog nazis.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
      X