Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theoretical Build: 5.0 in a Box

I'm talking about the 5.0 Coyote.

I know there might be a problem with the wiper motor, but could it be done? I was browsing through the Ford racing catalog and you can get one with all the necessary electronics for about 8 grand. I would THINK that it would mount up just like a 4.6 would, so just use those motor mounts, and the computer connections would have to be modified, but would it be worth it?

Note: This is just me Brainstorming, it's not like I would go and buy an Engine and tranny tomorrow.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

I think you're spot on. I did some research (re: goggled a bunch of stuff) and found that the mod engine mounts are the same and it uses mod engine trans bolt pattern, so any mod trans will work too. I'd definitely want at least 3.73 rear gears AND a locking diff for that motor though. But yeah... I think the the same clearance issues as the DOHC 4.6 apply.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Should go in just like a 4.6...but due to the high-rpm nature of the motor, I'd say minimum gear is like a 4.30....and I wouldn't trust the Getrag manual trans in a car as heavy as these.
      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
        Should go in just like a 4.6...but due to the high-rpm nature of the motor, I'd say minimum gear is like a 4.30....and I wouldn't trust the Getrag manual trans in a car as heavy as these.
        if this were to ever happen, I'd have the 6 speed auto that came behind it, and 4.10's in the rear end.
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
          if this were to ever happen, I'd have the 6 speed auto that came behind it, and 4.10's in the rear end.

4.10s might be a little bit much for the huge 4.17 1st gear that 6 speed tranny has
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
            4.10s might be a little bit much for the huge 4.17 1st gear that 6 speed tranny has
            but with slicks... it would get outta the hole like no tomorrow :smirk:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
              but with slicks... it would get outta the hole like no tomorrow :smirk:

yeah, if it hooked up it would go like a stabbed rat
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Fuck it's really that high?

also, regarding weight. The curb weight of the 5.0 Auto mustang is 3900 pounds....according to the sticker, the CV weighs 100 pounds LESS.

If only this swap was easy...It might be something for the being different factor, but it would be a shitton of work. It would be awesome nonetheless.

Comment

the auto has a monster of a 1st gear, the stick has like 3.66 which is still pretty wild compared to our 2.4
                  sigpic

Comment

the auto has a monster of a 1st gear, the stick has like 3.66 which is still pretty wild compared to our 2.4
                    wait, wasn't it you who drove one? How was the low end?

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                      wait, wasn't it you who drove one? How was the low end?

I had one (auto) for 3-4 days and did a lot of driving..the low end was insane and with the traction control off, if you weren't careful off of the line you sat in a cloud of tire smoke.

I don't mean to say it was unwieldy - I took it to a deserted road and did some WOT runs from a stop just to see how it would respond and that's when the previously mentioned tire smoke decided to make an appearance. With a little bit of right-foot restraint, I can confirm that the advertised 0-60 times are correct
                      Last edited by 1990LTD; 02-06-2011, 12:40 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

way too expensive..those engines arent worth it, yet.
                        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                        1994 MGM GS Montigua
                        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

The 5.0 auto mustangs weigh much less than that...everything I've seen has shown in the 3600lb range...some low 3700's....the GT500 is in the 3900lb range.

That motor is worth every penny....how many different(mass production) naturally aspirated engines are able to achieve over 100% volumetric efficiency?

I think it's a perfect swap candidate for everything! lol
                          '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...sembly-p-34866

love the engine, but, $7k's a chunk of change.

thats what this is a 'theoretical' build i suppose.
                            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                            1994 MGM GS Montigua
                            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I want in in my Marquis bad!
                              Lets Go Pens!

Comment

Working...
                              X