Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaarg. New front brake pads that are squeaking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaarg. New front brake pads that are squeaking!

2001 GM GS.

Should have known that gravy 15min front disc brake change would come back to bite me.

Changed the brakes but not the rotors as they were smooth with a very little lip on the outter edge.

Now when I start braking, I get a squeak that, for the most part, doesn't let up until stopped. I know they make stuffs to combat the annoying sound but have never needed it on my prior vehicles.

I figured I would ask gm.net what's best to apply post brake change?
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Make sure those metal clips aren't rubbing on the rotor. And umm... I don't know.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Put a small dab of brake grease on the back pads where they contact the caliper. Also, make sure the caliper slides are clean and well lubed. They should move easily. You may need to pull them out, clean them up, and re-install with some disc brake grease. If the booties for the caliper slides are gone, then you ought to replace the slides.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

also may need to sand the pad surface a little bit
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

How did you prepare the rotor before the change? How did you bed in the new brakes? Two most important questions to answer first.
          sigpic
          2009 GM, 45,000 miles
          ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

Make sure the pad shims are removed, clean, and fresh brake grease applied on. Are these pads aftermarket?

commonly you would have the rotor cut if it had not been cut before, and was thick enough. the breaking in process...i forget actually, I'm not even sure it necessary with modern day pads. There certainly is no breaking in procedure at Lexus. (it may go something like bring the car up to 30MPH and then brake hard, repeat X amount of times. but dont take my word on it.)
            Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM.
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

What kind of pads did you use? cheap ones are usually noisier.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

yeah, i recommend OEM pads and shims. for anything. manufacturers don't want their cars squeaking and those pads were tested to the manufacturers specs, so braking performance will perform be as designed. a high quality rotor is also a good thing.
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I got lucky... Autozone rotors and duralast (red - regular) semi-metallica pads and the box still stops on a dime.
                  I got unlucky... Oreilly rotors and semi-metallic pads on the 93 vic and you really have to stand on the brake pedal to lock it up now.

*shrugs*
                  *rolls dice again*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The better the pad, ie; Hawk HPS, the more critical the bed-in process is. Rotor has to have the proper amount of pad material transferred onto it, other wise it will make noises and not work @ 100%. The work around is to slather the back of the pads with any number of materials, as is commonplace since very few places have any real idea about brakes. At the very least, take the rotors off and wash them in the sink first with dish soap. Then sand them with an orbital sander, 100 grit till they are all dulled and scratched. Replace the pads. Or, have the rotors re-surfaced free at O'Reilly's. Follow bed-in procedure like the one on TireRack.com - http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85

It really does make a difference in stopping power and noise abatement.
                    sigpic
                    2009 GM, 45,000 miles
                    ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

Squeaking can be caused by any of the above, especially if the pads you got were made out of some other kind of friction material.

Rotors, no matter how 'smooth' they look, have a wear pattern, as do pads. New pads call for new rotor surfaces, which can either be obtained by cutting the rotor (if possible) or new rotors. I personally would recommend new rotors, as they would last longer, and dissipate heat better than rotors cut once, on the basis that less metal makes it harder to dissipate heat, and can cause rotor warping.

Phil, the break in period would be something more like this, Accelerate to 50 mph, lightly apply the brakes and slow down to 30 mph. Do this at least 3 times (Obviously you'd need a clear stretch of road to achieve this, or a low lane on a highway). Hard braking for pad and rotor break-in will cause pads and rotors not to meet up properly can can cause noise, poor stopping, and shorter brake life.

Comment

Wow. Thx guys.

Yeah the "plan" was to replace the rears as this is where I "thought" I heard the squeaking coming from. So I bought new pads and rotors for the rear. Checked the rears and there was plenty of pad left, so I checked the fronts and they were down pretty low, which makes sense cuz the fronts wear faster than the rear. So I returned the rear p&r's and bought Advance Wearever Gold Ceramics for the front but they didn't have the rotors so I just replaced the pads which I don't usually do. The next closest shop was like 30miles away...

I don't believe there are shims or clips rubbing the rotors. I'll break it down though to be sure. I heard there is grease apply on the back of the pads. My bro has a spray can of "disc brake quiet" he offered but I have never used it before.

Thx for the input fella's.
                        '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
                        '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

I've just cleaned everything, and used the sticky blue brake anti-squeek, my whole life till my last change. Never had a problem.

On Faded Glory I did use the wagner? neoprene self stick pads, they appear to work too.

Pete
                          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I like the red disc brake quiet paste in the bottle. Follow the directions exactly. I usually only use this stuff when I'm doing a brake job if just slathering some wheel bearing grease on the back of the pads doesn't work the first time around. Usually it does. Higher quality pads (especially the NAPA premium stuff or Raybestos professional grade) have good shims on the back of the pads that seem like they actually have grease in between the two layers of the shims. I put those on dry and they work great.
                            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                            X