Mystery Distributor/ help an idiot get durasparked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Distributor/ help an idiot get durasparked

I ebayed myself a distributor supposedly pulled from a 1982 351W 2Bl Bronco (vin G), hoping to stab it in my car as part of a 4bl/duraspark conversion.

Upon opening it, there weren't any parts that looks like Duraspark parts, or even any sort of electronics or vacuum advance or... really anything. In fact, it appears to have no moving parts at all beyond a really strange looking rotor. What the heck is this and can I convert it into a duraspark distributor? By which I mean, could I use the parts from a 302 durasparkII distributor to turn this into one?

with all the plastic parts removed

view when you take off the cap

underside of the plastic body

underside of cap

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Looks like your missing shit.

Comment

My first thought was EEC3 distributor. THose have no parts inside other than a rotor, but that is definitely the wierdest looking cap and rotor I've ever seen. Pretty sure eec3 uses a regular Duraspark cap and rotor, just no pickup, advance mechanism, etc. I'd suspect what you have is more useful as a curious doorstop than something to actually make a motor run.

Whats wrong with the existing distributor and such in your car now? That stuff is the same as Duraspark 2, and in fact you don't even need to replace the module. Just jumper the third plug together to eliminate the spark retard/advance crap and you're golden.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        My first thought was EEC3 distributor. THose have no parts inside other than a rotor, but that is definitely the wierdest looking cap and rotor I've ever seen. Pretty sure eec3 uses a regular Duraspark cap and rotor, just no pickup, advance mechanism, etc. I'd suspect what you have is more useful as a curious doorstop than something to actually make a motor run.

Whats wrong with the existing distributor and such in your car now? That stuff is the same as Duraspark 2, and in fact you don't even need to replace the module. Just jumper the third plug together to eliminate the spark retard/advance crap and you're golden.
        I was given the impression that non-electronic advance was completely non-adjustable on variable venturi distributors. If I'm wrong and it's possible to play with springs and weights and stuff I'd gladly use it. I know it's physically possible to use my current distributor but have heard from a few sources that the advance curve is all wrong.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

WTF? you got your self one weird peice. and X2 on the door stop

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was completely confused by it. I can't find pictures of anything that looks at all like it.

Comment

i would be trying to do some back research on a 82 351 bronco. maybe you might find some answers.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                and X2 on the door stop
                x3
                1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                1994 MGM GS Montigua
                2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                  I was given the impression that non-electronic advance was completely non-adjustable on variable venturi distributors. If I'm wrong and it's possible to play with springs and weights and stuff I'd gladly use it. I know it's physically possible to use my current distributor but have heard from a few sources that the advance curve is all wrong.
                  the one I worked on had the standard centrifugul/vacuum advance distributor, same thing they were using back in the 70s. The only thing odd about it was the module itself. It had 3 wires instead of 2. The emissions label told me to jump the two wires together on that third plug in order to set the base timing, so when the MCU was totally removed, I simply jumped the wires together with the old MCU harness plug and left it alone. Timing is now totally controlled with the mechanical and vacuum stuff like a normal distributor. The dizzy with the non-adjustable shit is the eec3 stuff used on 80-83 CFI cars. That distributor is really nothing more than a rotor and a distributor cap, absolutely nothing inside of it.

Does that wierdo unit have any part numbers? I'm almost wondering if its from one of those V8 air compressors, where 4 cylinders are the engine and 4 cylinders are the air pump. They made those out of various V8 motors over the years.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, that's good to know that I should be able to use my old one, just buy some advance springs I guess?

It does appear to have contacts for all 8 cylinders, 4 are just sort of further up in the cap, it's hard to explain. It has a Ford 80s part number. I have a complete label that I'll dig up that listed the supposed VIN it was taken from and a part number.

I guess it's possibly it's from a 351 CFI car and mislabelled? It certainly was perplexing to open up a distributor and find nothing at all other than a strange rotorish thing.

Comment

No idea. Only cfi3 car I've ever seen had a normal distributor cap and rotor , not whatever the hell that is. I'm just trying to work out how that even operates. it looks like it would bridge spark from 2 adjacent towers, not from a center coil button out to a terminal.

Dspark distributors curve with plates to limit total advance and springs to alter the rate. Need to pop open yours to see what its got in there first. Might not have plates that are useful for you.

Comment

check out my continental..

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

found some stuff on the Rockauto site. I know the distributor is a writeoff for my purposes, but I'm kinda still curious.

This is one of the choices for distributor rotor for an 82 bronco with vin code G, which is what it was represented as.

same weird rotor. however, only one of the 6 rotors with pictures looked like this.
                          http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=98774

cap, same story.
                          http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=939086

full distributor. some are like this some aren't
                          http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1123483
                          http://cardone.com/English/club/memb...PARTNUM=302861

Comment

Congrats, you just bought a California edition distributor

My cousin had the same thing on his bronco, and from what i recall, there should a brain box under the passenger or drivers seat to control it.

Its also non-adjustable distributor, hence why it was a Cali only thing, so you couldnt get more power than the factory intended, etc.

But yes, it would be best used as a doorstop/paper weight.
                            ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                            ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

ohh, is this it different than the dizzy on my lincoln?

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                              2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X