Headlight question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight question.

Over the last couple of days I have been having a problem with the headlights in my 03 P71. For some reason the headlights will just turn off. After 2 or 3 minutes they will work again for a while, sometimes the rest of the night, but they will go off again sooner or later. I still have parking lights, stop and tail lights, turn signals, and instrument cluster lights, just no head lights or high beams. I think the switch is going bad. Am I right of could it be something else?

The car is not equipped with day time running lights or auto lamps.
    1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Yeap sounds like a switch to me

Comment

could also be the relay, more than likely the switch though.
      1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
      1994 MGM GS Montigua
      2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Sorry I have been off the air for a while. I have tracked down the problem. It's not the switch or the relay, but the Lighting Control Module. The headlight relay is hard mounted to a circuit board inside the module. I have to replace the whole box. I got one from an 01 CVPI but no joy. It will not cross over. I have to get one from an 03-05, and new it is a dealer only item. If I can get one it will be to the tune of around 300 bucks. I will be calling the local Ford dealer in the morning.

Wish me luck.

Comment

Sorry, double post.
          Last edited by watchdog; 02-17-2011, 06:09 AM.

Comment

wasnt there something about an external relay mod for that?
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Yes! At Derecks' advise I searched over at mercurymaruader.com, tons of info, it's a relay soldered to a circuit board.

Pete
              Originally posted by gadget73
              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
              X