headers on 302 panther

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headers on 302 panther

which type of headers (short/long) will fits perfectly on my 302 colony park '85? can i use stang fox headers or maybe others? thank you
    '85 Colony Park LS

You can use fox headers. Stick with shorties because long tube do not fit, and stay away from equal lengths because they are a pain. You will have to convert to a mustang h pipe as well.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

sorry, but can you illustrate equal and unequal lenght headers?
      and why equal lengths are a pain?
      Last edited by game over; 02-13-2011, 06:33 AM.
      '85 Colony Park LS

Comment

Dont worry you will know them when you see them. They are a complete and udder mess of tubing. Find some aftermarket shortie mustang headers and you will be good to go. Depending on how the rebuild goes a stock set that has been on a mustang before will be fine.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ok. i understand a difference between eq and non eq headers. thank you. my engine rebuild is not stock - i bought a comp cams camshaft and some other parts. and thinking about exhaust. an intake will be stock with ported channels for a first time, because shipping from US to russia is not so cheap.
          '85 Colony Park LS

Comment

Most people here have Mustang shorties in one form or another and Mustang H-pipes. After that, you (if you can) can use 2.5" '94-'96 Chevy Impala tailpipes. You would have to get or bend something up between the H-pipe and tailpipes. Your Grand Marquis must be a unique sight over there.

Packman

Comment

Sweet! I was just wondering about improving on my y-pipe exhaust. So, any of the half dozen craiglist listings of mustang shorties and H-pipe (-cats) for $50-$75 will work? Will my cats fit right in there, saves buying what I already have?

...I've never done exhaust work before. Would stock mustang tailpipes work? Are the mufflers included as part of the H-pipe?

thanks!
              -Bernard

Comment

mufflers will have to be bought separately. You want something under about 20 inches(?) total length with offset/offset inlet/outlet, meaning that when viewed from above the inlet and outlet are diagonally opposite to each other.

A mustang tail pipe will not work. Walker and Dynomax make Impala SS tail pipes. Since Panthers are Caprice clones in terms of dimensions and Impalas are tarted up caprices, everything fits pretty much like stock.

The only thing is you will have to add piping between the mufflers and tail pipes or mufflers and h-pipe (whatever works best wtih what you have) to make up the difference in length between the mustang H-pipe and the original Panther one.

You'll need to either buy lengthened O2 sensor wiring harnesses or O2 bung plugs, depending on whether your car has O2 sensors. Most aftermarket H-pipes have the O2 sensor bungs in a considerably different spot on the pipe compared to stock.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

my mufflers have a 14" case, no fitment issues
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

and what kind of problems with longtube headers?
                    '85 Colony Park LS

Comment

not a set of long tubes are made that fit a panther out of the box. All will need to be modified for clearance of something or completely custom made. Equal length headers have some of the same issues. regular shorty headers (unequal length) are usually the best fit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

IIRC the most likely interference point was determined to be the HVAC box/firewall.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                        X