Front end squeak OEM shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end squeak OEM shock

Anyone considering the OEM Ford shocks or has the OEM's and have annoying squeaks that they cannot locate, take a look at the pictures of the shocks that came out of the front of a 2009 GM with 26,000 miles. I could not figure out where the noise was coming from till I changed to the KYB CVPI shocks. The bottom shock bushing on both front shocks is compressed and off center. Obvious signs of metal contact in the bushing mount.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1187.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1297550Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1181.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1297551
    sigpic
    2009 GM, 45,000 miles
    ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

I've had noises from the front end that were the control arm bushings.

Comment

I too have had noises from the control arm bushings. Start a thread on that. But, OEM shocks are gone and squeak is gone. The bushings were all compressed and the lower end of the shock had been twisting in the mount... squeaking. Car is only 2 yrs old with 26k when those came off. Outstanding durability.
      sigpic
      2009 GM, 45,000 miles
      ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

for a 2009 with under 30k, I would be rather annoyed that the shocks were shot already. I've actually never had a set of shocks wear out the bottom bushing before the internals wore out.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The shocks were not shot, just the OEM GM soft serve shocks suck. They were still doing the job (in a maritime sense), just wanted a better shock.
          sigpic
          2009 GM, 45,000 miles

Comment

the bushings being off-center like that puts it in the "shot" category for me. They are not supposed to do that.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh... I see what you mean. Yes they are shot being that the bushing is rather important. And it was not a random one since both front bushings are like that.
              sigpic
              2009 GM, 45,000 miles

Comment

the OE shocks on my 93 vic wore out and the bushing was fine. *shrugs*
                needs poly bushings

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X