4.6L Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.6L Mods

Hey all, I didn't see a thread specific to the 4.6L engine, so I thought I would post here. I have two questions in one. I rebuild and repair engines for a living for a high performance engine company, so I know alot about engines and such, but I was hoping to get some concrete numbers, if anyone has any.
    I have a 1994 Grand Marq with the 4.6L. I was wondering what kind of improvements I would get from removing the CAT? Also, what kind of improvement would I get if I installed dual exhaust?
    I just wanted to make sure it is worth the cost. If it's a small improvement on performance and mileage, then I won't do it. If it's a good amount of improvement, then I would invest the money.
    Thanks!

all the 4.6 info is over in the Aero/Whale Tech area

removing the cats won't help much, if at all. Dual exhaust will help for sure.

as for power and mileage numbers... dunno for sure. My 93 with dual exhaust gets about 28mpg on the highway. Got 26 before the duals. since it's got the 2.73 rear gears, it gets off the line like a snail, but a ricer roll works really well.
    Last edited by sly; 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, I lost gas mileage converting to dual exhaust. Did something to our right feet hearing the engine growl it seems. All my mods have cost a bit of mileage, but so worth the fun of driving a modified car. My 0-60 time dropped .5 second with just the dual conversion on my '09.
      sigpic
      2009 GM, 45,000 miles
      ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

yeah... if I put better gears in the rear... the mileage will drop for sure. that and ricer will be in my rear view mirror more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X