porting stock lower intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

porting stock lower intake

I've got an extra efi lower intake that I got together with the ho upper a while back...I'd like to learn the basics of porting and I'm not worried if I fuck this thing up since it's currently being used to keep my kick drum from moving.

Has anyone here done this before? What kind of gains does one get from a ported lower intake?

Can I fuck anything else in the motor up if I do what turns out to be a horrible job of porting it? I don't think so but it doesn't hurt to ask. As long as the flux capacitor is fine.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Nah... go for it. Make it shiny and take out any ridges. I used to do this on my 5.0 Mustangs. Much better throttle response is what I found it does. No power increase, but snapper response.
    sigpic
    2009 GM, 45,000 miles
    ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

Look at the front 2 holes, there's a ton to be gained from there. TMoss ports them and reports the usable RPM ceiling to be increased significantly. There's a good bit to it to really make the most of it. Or you could grab an Exploder intake from the local pull and pay.
      1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

yeah, the outermost ports are the biggest problems, #5 in particular. The middle ones you don't really need to touch. The optimal goal is to have every port flow the same, so while you can get a lot more out of the middle, you'll never get as much at the ends so you end up with an intake that still does not flow evenly.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

sounds like a plan. i'll need to spend a few bucks on dremel stuff but tool costs don't count we don't have a yard where you can pull parts yourself and i've never actually seen a 302 explorer, only 4.0s around here.

at the very least I'll have a lower intake that's cleaner than the one that's on my car. when it goes back on it'll have 19lb injectors and a new cam/lifters with it so i won't really be able to tell if the porting did a damn thing

is there a gasket set to match the intake runners to?
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Hmm. I have a spare set of upper and lowers HO stuff. Looking forward to seeing how you make out with this Josh as I may try it too!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I dunno when it will be done but I don't have a digital camera, so chances are good I'll only have "finished" pictures, haha
              sigpic

Comment

Here's the guy who does it professionally

http://tmossporting.0catch.com/

And here's his guide on porting your own lower.

http://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopi...572d7aef0dd4f7
                1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

thanks!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
                    Here's the guy who does it professionally

http://tmossporting.0catch.com/

And here's his guide on porting your own lower.

http://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopi...572d7aef0dd4f7
                    Way cool. Any guides for uppers?
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That and more in the tech section, enjoy.

http://eectuning.org/forums/viewforu...666ca826716584

Comment

The lower is by far a bigger problem than the upper is, so generally I think he doesn't suggest messing with it since its not much help.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^Understood.
                          I guess I may try this out once as I have a spare lower hanging around. Port her up, paint her up, and probably just rebox it lol cuz my car runs fine...no need to swap until a complete HO upgrade comes around.
                          ~David~

Comment

The worst part of the upper intake is the "straight" shot from the throttle body....there's not much to be done with it though. the 90 degree bend can't be good for anything, either.
                            sigpic

Comment

People have sliced those intakes in half to allow full porting, and then welded them back together, sometimes with shorter runners up top for whatever reason. Seems like a hell of a lot of work for a stock upper intake to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X