P71 no forward drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P71 no forward drive

Hi I'm Gonna Get a 2003 P71 but the guy who's selling it says that it has a tranny fault, the car will only creep forward if the motor is really gunned but it drives ok in reverse ?? any ideas on what the problem is likely to be before i drive 350 miles to see the car.
    Any help gratefully accepted !!!

clutches... possible hard parts failed (gears, bands). I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing may be shot. It could be anywhere from $800 - $2500 at a transmission shop (depending on the gouging of said shop and how many hard parts if any need replacing... *$$$ is USD based on local shops near me in Texas). We do know that it's not the torque converter... because if it was... the car wouldn't move at all. Though the torque converter may be bad anyhow, but it's not the worst problem. If I were to buy a car like this, I would expect to have to replace the entire transmission.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've had this problem on both cars. It's the overdrive bands. And I just replaced the transmission and the torque converters.
      The tranny for the Tank is from the junkyard and the Marauder's spare is from another Marauder.
      Good luck mang!!

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
      X