2003 MGM - speed signal wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 MGM - speed signal wanted...

Being still quite a newbie in the MGM details, I am wondering whether the speedo in my 2003 MGM is electronically driven or gets the speed signal the old school way by a flexible driving shaft.
    Background of my question is that I want to eventually use an overhead display and/or a BECKER navigation system which both need a speed signal for function.
    Do you guys have any idea where to find a speed signal in the 2003 MGM electronics?
    Maybe from anywhere in the ABS circuits? Or in the Radio harness?

Thanks for your help !

JoJo

it's electronic. They're all electronic since 1990.

the speed sensor is on the output housing... tail section... bah... terminology sux... of the transmission with two wires coming from it IIRC.

I'm not sure about access points to that circuit though.
    Last edited by sly; 03-01-2011, 02:06 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
      it's electronic. They're all electronic since 1990.

the speed sensor is on the output housing... tail section... bah... terminology sux... of the transmission with two wires coming from it IIRC.
      Hi Slymer

Are you sure that is correct?

I was under the impression vehicle speed was measured by the ABS module and a vehicle speed signal was sent from the PCM on the Grey/Black wire on pin 68.

Regards

Dereck
      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

the ABS reads individual wheel speed... there's still the trans VSS for the speedo.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          ... there's still the trans VSS for the speedo.
          Hi Slymer

Ah I see, after some reading I see the OSS (Output Shaft Speed) sensor is used for a speed signal not the ABS.

Regards

Dereck
          President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

VSS for teh speed. The Tank does NOT have ABS. As in, it's not equipped with it.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks guys, but where do I find the locaton of that PCM in my 2003 MGM ?

BTW, I just did the "headlight relay job" this weekend and it worked fantastic. MGM still had the first bulbs from 2003 mounted. I now mounted some Sylvana silver bulbs and now I feel that it is a real improvement with the bulbs & relays. A good place for mounting the reays is beside the battery compartment on the inner side of the right font fender.

Comment

PCM is under the dash on the drivers side, left of brake pedal.

Comment

Thanks Vicky for the help.
                  Has anyone an idea where to find a full pcm pinout for my 2003 MGM PCM? I searched the web but was not really successful...

Thanks !

JoJo

Comment

Originally posted by mgmgermany View Post
                    Thanks Vicky for the help.
                    Has anyone an idea where to find a full pcm pinout for my 2003 MGM PCM? I searched the web but was not really successful...

Thanks !

JoJo
                    Ford Dealer?

Comment

Ford dealers here in Germany do not provide any data for US cars, saying they dont have any....
                      Is that PCM pinout nowhere to find on the www ?
                      Any help is appreciated.
                      Thanks

JoJo

Comment

http://www.pdfstack.info/g/grand-mar...anual-pdf.html Might be in here?

Comment

Vss sig

DEREK, you were right on the first go. Thanks to 86Vicky LX, I got access to the PCM pinout which shows exactly pin 68 for the VSS SIG.
                          Now I only have to find that gray/black cable. Seems the speed contol actuator on left side of engine comp. is the place to look. Curious what kinda signal I find once i had grabbed the right cable.

Thanks again

JoJo

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
                          Hi Slymer

Are you sure that is correct?

I was under the impression vehicle speed was measured by the ABS module and a vehicle speed signal was sent from the PCM on the Grey/Black wire on pin 68.

Regards

Dereck

Comment

Mission accomplished !

Just wanted to let you know, that everthing is installed now and working properly to my full satisfaction.
                            Remarks: If you have a standard radio harness you have to get the VSS signal from the PCM on pin 68, I was lucky enough to have my MGM equipped with the premium sound system harness, which already carries the VSS signal in the main power plug on the factory radio. So it was a kinda easy swap from US-Ford plug to so-called "double-DIN" connectors.
                            In my KIA Sorento I have the same BECKER Navigation system with the GPS antenna mounted on the radio body, under the upper dashboard cover, hence invisible. That does not work with the 2003 MGM, no satellite signals are coming through the dasboard. So I mounted the 2"x2" antenna on top of the dashboard right side of red LED dome. Works perfectly.
                            Also added a THB Bury bluetooth handsfree telephone equipment, which puts the phone sound out of the radio speakers. Nice little gadget.

Next is to upgrade my front speakers with a compo system with separate tweeters,
                            Any reccomendations, guys?

Rgds from sunny and warm Germany
                            JoJo

Comment

Working...
                            X