Floor Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floor Shifter

I went to the search bar, but couldn't find what I wanted.

I have an 85 vic with the stock AOD transmission. Is it possible to use the B&M cable operated floor shifter with these transmissions? It doesn't have to be B&M, that is just the one that they carry at the auto parts store. I think I saw somewhere that these were linkage operated transmissions, but didn't know if I could convert it over; and I want the shifter in the floor because of looks and ease of use.
    85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
    09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
    79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
    64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

Im sorry that i cant answer that question. But i agree with the application. And I was wondering. Does the needle on the dash line up with the prndl like its supposed to? mine doesnt and i swear it wont drop into first
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
    Carb swap planned .
    c90 heads
    475 lift cam
    Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
    Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
    331 stroker kit
    Work in progress

Comment

Mine does, but it is starting to get worn and not always lock in instantly, but I will say that I have done the 1-2-1 and usually leave it in 3rd for cruising around town.

Comment

hm...well. I havent been able to go anywhere but up and down the street since the car isnt tagged and i have no license...due to a very special 1981 Corvette...
        Carb swap planned .
        c90 heads
        475 lift cam
        Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
        331 stroker kit
        Work in progress

Comment

Pop the steering column covers off and look for the plastic gear indicator cable. It is a collar that that has a wire attached to the shift tube. You can align it back into place if need be by carefully loosening the bolt and playing with the orientation of the collar.

Maybe try raiding a V8 fox body auto trans car for all equipment including the pieces that attach to inside the transmission and you can probably convert to a floor shifter.

Some others have installed B&M floor shifter hand have problems with the cable breaking and such.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Okay thanks...by carefully do you mean. dont break it or what?
            Carb swap planned .
            c90 heads
            475 lift cam
            331 stroker kit
            Work in progress

Comment

Yeah because the plastic collar gets very brittle over time...it may actually be broken already..I once went to loosen the nut that tightens the collar and it just snapped off. I find heating the collar up with a heat guns helps lower the possibility of cracking it. Just be gentle with it all. The collar slides in an insert only so much that is what gives you your adjustment.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

the plastic collar around the shaft is very brittle and very prone to breaking when disturbed (and may already be broken). the one on my mark is refurbished with duck tape (by one of the previous owners). The one in my 88 MGM is long gone (doesn't even have the cable up to the indicator).

edit: 87gtVIC beat me to it

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I wish i could just bolt in a 4 speed power glide...that would make my day.
                  well actually the mercury fairy could just come by and poof the thing back to factory spec and THAT sir would make my day.

Thank you very much. I will attempt not to break it as soon as i get home. Well no i have class damnit.
                  Carb swap planned .
                  c90 heads
                  475 lift cam
                  331 stroker kit
                  Work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Maybe try raiding a V8 fox body auto trans car for all equipment including the pieces that attach to inside the transmission and you can probably convert to a floor shifter.

Some others have installed B&M floor shifter hand have problems with the cable breaking and such.
                    Okay, thank you. I also saw the Lokar is mechanical, but I may just do the fox body swap.

Comment

So, I went to the junkyard today, all I could find was the 4cyl foxbody. I still ripped the shifter out of it with all the extras, but when I got home, I noticed that the gear selector is different. It has P-R-N-D-2-1. Is this not going to work? What tranny would that have been? a C4? Hopefully it will still work, don't want to have to modify a linkage; I just have to remember that 2 is D and 3 is O until I change it.

Comment

Doesn't Mr. Land Yacht have a floor shifter in his car?
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The AOD has the same number of shift detents that a 3 speed has. Notice its P-R-N-OD-D-1 where a 3 speed is P-R-N-D-2-1. I dont really see much reason that you couldn't use a C3 (4 cyl Mustang) shifter with an AOD. You just have to know that D is OD, and 2 is D. There are different shift levers on the side of the transmission for cable, rod, and floor shift applications. Not quite sure what you need, but I suspect something out of a Mark VII might do the trick. THose also have floor shifters and are AOD cars, though since the shifter is designed to sit inside a console its pretty ugly without the covers on it. The shift lever can be changed, but it involves dropping the trans pan, removing a nut and a roll pin, unhooking the TV lever, and sliding the parts out.

and the Powerglide is a 2 speed, not a 4 speed.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                            Doesn't Mr. Land Yacht have a floor shifter in his car?
                            Yes. And on at least two occasions it has broke on him because the geometry/routing of the cable wasn't kosher.
                            ~David~

Comment

i'm putting in the B&M unimatic floor shifter today in the old girl, but its not getting hooked up until the end of the month when the new tranny gets built. you need a bracket kit specifically for the AOD, but it is supposed to fit good... i guess we shall see.
                              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Working...
                              X