CFI. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI. Help?

From what ive gathered all i can figure is that CFI is TBI with computer controlled fuel delivery...now...i dont know if it also controls mixture. which i assume it does...damnit ford...and i just want to know what i need to turn this over to either full carb or full tb

OR if necessary. what do i need to keep the CFI 302 from running like alzheimer ridden old man with poo in his pants. in other words...badly...very badly.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
    Carb swap planned .
    c90 heads
    475 lift cam
    Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
    Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
    331 stroker kit
    Work in progress

if the dist is vacuum/mechanical advanced... pretty much just disconnect the engine computer and remove the CFI and replace with a carb. if the dist is controlled to... replace the dist as well. re-running the fuel lines to hook up to the carb may be the toughest task though.

definitely only do this IF you are not subject to emission checks (visual or tail pipe)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

oklahoma doesnt inspect thank the lord almighty. okay. what about the pump? would i need to drop the tank and install some sort of standalone unit for the pump or what?
      Carb swap planned .
      c90 heads
      475 lift cam
      Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
      331 stroker kit
      Work in progress

Comment

What about a SEFI swap?
        1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

I'm not sure about the fuel pump. there's a couple of guys that have done the SEFI swap though. It can be done, but requires a lot of parts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

SEFI thats single port injection? im new to the world of ford lincoln mercury
            Carb swap planned .
            c90 heads
            475 lift cam
            331 stroker kit
            Work in progress

Comment

Sequential electronic fuel injection, 86 vic was the first American v8 sedan with it I believe. multiport injection, whatever you want to call it. We have 8x 14lb fuel injectors and I think CFI has 2x 42lb
              Last edited by 1990LTD; 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

oh well...screw that im trying like hell to get away from FI
                thats why i bought the car for 100 bucks without even looking at it. First i was told it was a 79. so naturally "351 hell yeah"
                but alas its the 302 CFI and it sickens me. I want to turn it over to carb but how would i get fuel delivered?
                Carb swap planned .
                c90 heads
                475 lift cam
                331 stroker kit
                Work in progress

Comment

easiest thing to do is llok at the cfi to carb swap stuff i know where there is a nasty already built motor for like 2500 bucks its a 306 with AFR185 heads and a torkerII intake its naaasty!
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Carbs suck.

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

but... don't quote me on it, I vaguely remember hearing that if you put the supply line directly into the return line on a CFI car, you get about the psi that a carb wants (supplied with a "T" in the line)

Originally posted by Merc302 View Post
                      I want to turn it over to carb but how would i get fuel delivered?
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        Carbs suck.
                        The man speaks the truth.
                        1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Ez-EFI FTW!

victor jr intake and EZ-EFI on top and run the piss out of it.

at least I hear it works well.

Comment

Jesus christ just do the SEFI swap. Get a modern fuel injection system with computer-controlled timing and you'll improve your gas mileage and make the car more reliable to boot.

Carbs are just black magic as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and yes, they do suck. That is their job after all.
                            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

You guys dont understand. my whole motto is FUCK FUEL INJECTION

Thing is im already having electrical issues. The less electronics the better for me.
                              Multiport fuel injection means a whole other harness. A whole other PCM or whatever ford calls it. and that sir simply will not do.
                              Carb swap planned .
                              c90 heads
                              475 lift cam
                              331 stroker kit
                              Work in progress

Comment

Working...
                              X