3.55 gears???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.55 gears???

I have the potential to get very slightly used 3.55 gears out of a CV.
    How difficult is it to install 3.55 gears into my currently 2.73 axle? Is there a lot of adjusting, shimming, backlash, gear mesh stuff to worry about? Or is it really straightforward: Unbolt the old, bolt in the new, and drive away?
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
    1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
    I have the potential to get very slightly used 3.55 gears out of a CV.
    How difficult is it to install 3.55 gears into my currently 2.73 axle? Is there a lot of adjusting, shimming, backlash, gear mesh stuff to worry about? Or is it really straightforward: Unbolt the old, bolt in the new, and drive away?
    It's the first one unfortunately.

But, 3.55's are awesome. Now would be a great time to add a trac-lok too.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I recommend professional installation , the things you mentioned all need to be addressed
      sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Yup it's a pretty involved project. If your not extremly comfotable measuring, shimming, seting backlash and such. Have a professional do it.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

I figured. I am not entirely comfortable with all that shiz. Last time set up ring and pinion stuff was on an International S1700 several years ago.
          The guy wants $125 for the set. The 3.55's are almost a must have though. Towing my boat with 2.73's isn't working it.

Whatelse do I need to know about swapping gears? Other things I need to do? Etc.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
            Or is it really straightforward: Unbolt the old, bolt in the new, and drive away?
            if you swap the whole rear axle it is..
            Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Yeah. the issue there is that I have the air ride... Granted I'd be fine with springs too...

Anyone go that route? Adding or taking away the air springs?
              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Actually...that brings up a whole new situation. I just noticed my right drivers rear side is sagging like a mofo. Not really surprised being that my GM is a 98...and its a Wisconsin car. So whats the best route to go? What is the cheapest route? Just replace the air springs? Or convert it to regular springs?
                1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

there is only one height sensor on those. It can be off-level left to right and still satisfy the sensor. Put a jack under the frame on the side thats low, and pick it up some. The air suspension will vent, but more air will come out of the side thats not supported. REmove the jack and see if its more level.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I suggest a good reputable shop to do a rear gear job. It may get rather expensive also. A shop not too far from me does nothing but rear ends, from stock replacements to all out race set ups. If i provided the parts i would be looking at about $800 in labor, but this shop is one of the best. Needless to say i'm putting it off.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Anyone ever hear of these guys? Anyone have first hand experience? Not a bad price at all.

http://www.strutmasters.com/mercury-...nsion-s/65.htm

If I were NOT to get a conversion kit and wanted to do it myself (I'd like a little taller/stiffer/heavy duty ride in the back), what would I all need to do to convert it from air to coil??
                      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Just hit up a junk yard and grab two coils. Its easy as hell to do but if your air ride is fine id keep it. Auto level is nice and it rides so smooth
                        79 Grand Marquis

Comment

It did seem a little better this morning, but the ride height is not equal. I do like the auto level, it is convenient and a smooth ride. But I was underneath it today and I happened to check out the bags and they are kinda rough looking, starting to dry crack pretty bad.

Anyone know what the replacement air bags go for or a good place to get them from for that matter?
                          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by Leafsrule16 View Post
                            Just hit up a junk yard and grab two coils. Its easy as hell to do but if your air ride is fine id keep it. Auto level is nice and it rides so smooth

I think I'm gonna have to swap in springs. My compressor sounds like a lawnmower. It's probably burning itself out by keeping that air bag filled up.

Is it really that easy to swap in coil springs in place of the air bags?

Also are there springs from other models or years (other than 92-10 Aeros/Whales) that will fit on a 98 MGM?? I'd like something stiffer/more heavy duty. Or is there a good place to get better springs from?
                            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Air to Coil

I swapped out the air bags for coils on my 2000. Quite simple but I did also change shocks because of different damping rates. There is a wire in the harness behind the glove box (blue I think) that will kill the "Check Air Suspension" light on the dash. Just cut it.

Comment

Working...
                              X