Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roller rockers?

Hi!

Doing my HO/gt40 rebuild now, just ordered almost everything on Friday.
    I'm getting valve seals as a matter of course, and I'll be regrinding the valve faces and, I think -if I have the equipment at school- the seats as well. I'm replacing springs and keepers.

I was wondering if it would be good practice to replace the rockers?
    Kindof by accident (bought the e7te heads, then a block from another guy who threw in 2 sets of heads, and THEN found gt40s at the scrapyard) I have more stock rockers than I know what to do with. Between the rockers with 60,000 miles on them, the rockers with 110,000 miles on them, and the unknowable junkyard rockers-- frankly I couldn't tell the difference. They're all stained brown with oil, except that little spot where they rub against the valve stem; and that little spot is not perceptively deeper in any one rocker over any other despite the mileage difference.

Can I gather then that, unlike springs and valve seats, rockers might last forever and not need replacing?

That's the first question.
    Should I change out the rockers? I'm doing almost everything else... but if I don't need to, that's another $100 for something else in the build.

Second question, if I DO change out the rockers, worth going roller? Comp camps made a 1.72 ratio pedestal (stock compatible) roller rocker at some point, it seems there are several sets on ebay at all times for ~$150 used. Right now a fellow is selling his used set with the claim that they have 30,000 miles on them, not bad, lower than any of the stamped steel stock ones I've got, by half.

Worth bidding $150 for 'em? I'm not looking to excel @5000rpm, but lighter and lower resistance are better at any speed I figure, and replacement stock stamped steel are almost $150 anyway.
    Do roller rockers wear out any faster, seeing as they have more moving parts? That would be my one concern with buying used ones; are they as long lived as stamped steel stock?

thanks for the advice!

rockers actually don't go bad much, but if you want to replace them, I would go with roller rockers for the reduced friction. I'd just look over the ones you have and pick the cleanest and least-worn. You'll find wear on the top side of the rocker closest to the center where the arm rocks against the metal curved block that holds it down. Also, make sure you orient the center piece that the bolt passes through correctly against the rocker. There is an oil groove in that pivot point and you'll find that it leaves a matching mark on the rocker itself. If you flip it around, the rocker will ride on a very very small raised portion, causing premature wear.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Rollers will last longer, since it has a rolling surface, instead of a flat surface.

Comment

Also you won't have to worry about finding oil with lots of zinc in it to keep the tappets in good shape.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
          Also you won't have to worry about finding oil with lots of zinc in it to keep the tappets in good shape.
          your thinking of a roller cam, not roller rockers.

i have a set of Scorpion roller rockers, they are a good buy for the money
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post

What valvecovers are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
              your thinking of a roller cam, not roller rockers.

Oh. Herp derp.

Yes, I pay full attention to everything I read.
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                What valvecovers are you running?
                cheap cast aluminum covers from summit
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Have any pics of them? I'm trying to run my scorpions with my EFI, but the Ford Racing ones I have are too tall, (I can't even run the spacer required to clear the intake, because the spacer makes upper intake too high to close the hood).

Comment

Have any pics of them? I'm trying to run my scorpions with my EFI, but the Ford Racing ones I have are too tall, (I can't even run the spacer required to clear the intake, because the spacer makes upper intake too high to close the hood).

fake weiand blower with an on-off switch sticking through the hood time? I think so...
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                      fake weiand blower with an on-off switch sticking through the hood time? I think so...
                      Nah, you can do that when you find out 1 inch spacer won't fit under vic hood. I like looking stock.

Comment

Nah, you can do that when you find out 1 inch spacer won't fit under vic hood. I like looking stock.
                        I already know it won't fit I didn't find out until after I bought it, though, so I might see if I can get a few bucks for it.
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

3/8" spacer should fit.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wonder how easily a 1" spacer could become a 3/8" spacer?
                            sigpic

Comment

machine shop should be able to plane that easily. How much is another story.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X