Installing Tach and Temp gauge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Tach and Temp gauge...

Never done this before, are there any particular brands i should NOT get and does anyone know of any major difficulties in doing this? Id like to have them mounted on the lower left side of the dash below the Light knob
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
    Carb swap planned .
    c90 heads
    475 lift cam
    Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
    Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
    331 stroker kit
    Work in progress

I always buy Autometer instruments. They are expensive, but they are professional. Lots of professional teams use them. Stewart Warner, and Livorsi ($$$) would be my other choices.

I always buy gauges that match my factory instrumentation, as well. Black with white letters, and an orange needle. I am anal about this. I do not like seeing white faced aux. gauges in a car with a black speedometer, fuel gauge, etc. This is just me... I look at the details.

I personally would hit my knee on the gauges if they were mounted where you want them. But I am over 6 feet.

I also go for small tachs, right in the line of sight. I'm not a fan of big tachs, unless they are in a race car.

Gauges are easy to wire up, but keep the wiring neat. The tach should have 4 wires. Red, white, black, green. White is illumination, red is switched 12V, black is ground, and green is the tach signal. Most are wired that way.

Temp gauge will have a sender wire (or tube if mechanical), a ground, and a switched 12V source.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

ha im little. 5'7" with boots. Thanks alot. I might see about matching my color faces since i dont really plan on any interior work.
      Carb swap planned .
      c90 heads
      475 lift cam
      Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
      331 stroker kit
      Work in progress

Comment

Stewart Warner and Sunpro for me. I have a 40 year old Stewart Warner gauge pod that works perfectly...I think they still make em actually
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

sunpro all the way in mine. I don't really care for it to be precise... just that it works within a +/- 5%. The gauges I installed in my 88 seem to be within 1% though... so it works for me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm using a Sunpro super tach II with 3 1/2" face, i had a 2" sunpro gauge but was too hard to see at a glance when racing (i wear glasses). On my ashtray i have an equus water temp gauge and a B&M trans temp gauge. Installing a temp gauge and a tach is a straight forward install.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
            Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
            Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
            NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

I'd rip those gauges out with my knees because of my height. You may get away with it but still...in the way I would believe.

This is how mine is set up.

I am contemplating making a custom angled bezel for the tach to fit in the are where the triple rocker switch panel currently is. Those switches will be replaced and would be good to keep the speedo fully clear of the tach...right now it just blocks the fuel gauge a bit.
              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 03-07-2011, 10:48 PM.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That's exactly what I did with my Malibu. I installed an Autometer Phantom water temp guage and an old Suntach II. After the vapor locking issues I got the water temp guage and after printed circuit ribbon died (causing all of the dash lights and dummy lights to die) I got the tach to see how fast I was going at night. Once you get guages you'll never want a car without them.

Packman

Comment

I'm looking to do this too-- and soon. How does the tachometer install-- where does it wire in? I need to pull my dash for a heater core job (spring break project), that would be the perfect time to install gauges.
                  Also thinking about oil pressure. I know mechanical is best... so mechanical under the hood, or, electronic in the dash? I don't need 1% precision on the oil pressure, just want a lil forewarning that it's getting lower and lower, before the idiot light comes on only at 6psi!
                  I guess a voltage meter couldn't hurt anything either, but batteries last years, so I've always wondered why they included those on older cars-- batteries and alternators died more often?

Anyway, if I don't have a tachometer stock, where does the add-on get its information from?

Comment

Tachometer gets its signal from one of the wires that goes to the coil. I think it's green with a red stripe on SEFI cars. I just used a t-tap on that wire.
                    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

I know it's the one that goes between the coil and TFI module on the boxen (tan/yellow faded to gray/white on my 88)... no clue what wire on the coil pack engines.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I found my gauges! stewart warner! guess that do still make em, i got em through napa
                        Carb swap planned .
                        c90 heads
                        475 lift cam
                        331 stroker kit
                        Work in progress

Comment

are you going with a pod mounted sticking out in front of the dash, or a flush mount and cut a circle into spare space into the dash?
                          I need to decide what I'm doing

Comment

pod mount!
                            Fabrication is far from my specialty, plush i think itll still look nice.
                            Carb swap planned .
                            c90 heads
                            475 lift cam
                            331 stroker kit
                            Work in progress

Comment

Working...
                            X