Electric Fuel Pump VS Mechanical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Fuel Pump VS Mechanical

Im looking to turn my 85 GM 302 over to carb, and since im gonna pull the motor anyway. I wanted to go for mechanical fuel delivery, some have advised against this. But im set on it, my final decision rests with you guys considering, you all have more experience with this platform.

Ive been reccomended to do an inline electric and also a low voltage electric(supposedly requires no regulator)

Inline would be just as easy to maintain as mechanical as far as i know.

I really want the easiest/cheapest option.
    As this would be my first time with alot of things on this vehicle.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
    Carb swap planned .
    c90 heads
    475 lift cam
    Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
    Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
    331 stroker kit
    Work in progress

Cheap and easy does not equate to the best solution.

For street driven low output carbureted engine, the BEST alternative is mechanical. Manufacturers used them for years for a reason. It is the simplest way. No regulator, no BS.

How many threads do we need to discuss a simple carb swap?
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
      Cheap and easy does not equate to the best solution.

For street driven low output carbureted engine, the BEST alternative is mechanical. Manufacturers used them for years for a reason. It is the simplest way. No regulator, no BS.

How many threads do we need to discuss a simple carb swap?
      Gimme a break buddy im trying to get alll my ducks in a row cause i here one thing here another somewhere else and i dont know any better so im doin' my research.

And simple is alot MORE simple when youve done it before.
      I dont have that benefit. So my first time doing it id like to go in to do it and get it done, not run into any goddamn hiccups like incompatability.
      Once again i HAVE not done this before. and ill do as many threads as it takes to get my questions answered and not get off track with the thread. I thought thats what this is for?
      Carb swap planned .
      c90 heads
      475 lift cam
      Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
      331 stroker kit
      Work in progress

Comment

I am asking this seriously. I feel it will be important in helping folks respond to your threads effectively.

How old are you?
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

20 why for?
          Carb swap planned .
          c90 heads
          475 lift cam
          331 stroker kit
          Work in progress

Comment

Man im not trying to be shitty, i like using this site.
            But in my business.
            You need to be clear and precise
            Alot of the information ive gotten although helpful and informative, is not clear at all.
            Carb swap planned .
            c90 heads
            475 lift cam
            331 stroker kit
            Work in progress

Comment

I used an inline electric that only put out 7 psi on an old mustang it was only $20 bucks and super simple to hook up. With that being said you can never go wrong with a mechanical pump either, so it really comes down to personal prefrance IMO.

One more question to ask though from the other guys and you. What year is your engine? And for the rest of the crew, will it have a lobe for a mech fuel pump?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

No i wont have a lobe, the engine is the stock 302 im not sure what the actual blocks designation is.
                Im just not sure if i wanna add an eccentric. or get a new cam.
                I dont mind a little work. But i dont have alot of equipment. and i AM on a budget. Thing is i dont really wanna have to do too much with running fuel lines.
                Carb swap planned .
                c90 heads
                475 lift cam
                331 stroker kit
                Work in progress

Comment

Working...
                X