Starter won't disengage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter won't disengage

Just acquired a 1993 MGM and the starter won't disengage when the engine starts. If you turn the engine off, the starter continues until the negative battery cable is disconnected.
    And it smells HOT. Any ideas on what would cause this? I plan on getting under the car later today, if weather permits. Also read about a half moon or starter wrench to get the starter bolts off. What size wrench would I need and where might I find one. Any feedback is appreciated.

Don.
    1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

Just tap it a hammer. My Lincoln did the same but ain't gave me a problem since it is just rust not leting it disengage

Comment

Starter Solenoid is getting stuck, replace the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Starter Solenoid is getting stuck, replace the solenoid AND the starter.
        Very important, can't be stressed enough. I could have strangled some mechanics 10 or 12 years back when my mom talked me into paying to have the starter replaced after a stuck-solenoid incident blew it up. Big surprise, two days later the solenoid repeated its trick, but I got the cable disconnected in time. More big surprises, replacing the solenoid fixed the problem. The mechanics acted like I was an idiot for thinking anything other than the starter needed replacing ("She just gets started cranking over and doesn't want to stop!") ........ I figured at the time that they just wanted me to pay them to replace the starter multiple times before admitting that anything else was wrong, but hopefully I was being overly pessimistic.

BTW, in practice I never bother replacing the starter after solenoid stickage, just the solenoid. Motorcrafts are supposedly less likely to go bad; I found one recently at O'Reilly's for about $25, which is expensive, but it's still half the price of the last starter I bought and lots easier to install.
        Last edited by 1987cp; 03-11-2011, 11:36 AM.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Do the later models use (ford called it a relay) on the fender for the starter? Cause i had older model fords with it and had a similar problem i replaced the starter and was still not disengaging, until i replaced that.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
          Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
          Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
          NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

1993 doesn't have the fender mounted solenoid btw...

I don't know where you buy your starters, but when I get a starter it comes with a new solenoid... *I'm talking about 91 style and newer, with the solenoid on the starter*
            Last edited by 86VickyLX; 03-11-2011, 03:48 PM.

Comment

90+ have a Chevy type starter with a solenoid mounted to the top of the starter motor. When the solenoid fails, its usually because the starter is also on the way out. The starter has to be removed from the engine to get the solenoid off, and nobody stocks those solenoids so its usually just easier to replace the whole thing and be done with it.

The older ones with the fender mounted relay is not too different. The relay contacts weld together when the starter starts pulling excessive current. Often replacing the relay only works for a couple weeks and you're right back where you started.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                1993 doesn't have the fender mounted solenoid btw...
                They don't? Weird, I never knew that. Oops!

Obviously the solenoid would be provided if it's all one unit ..........

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Often replacing the relay only works for a couple weeks and you're right back where you started.
                  I've seen that mentioned before by you and others, but obviously, my experience has been completely the opposite. :shrugs:

Comment

It depends if the relay went bad because the relay went bad, or if it went bad because the starter went bad. I usually try for a relay first, but if it burns another one out in a couple weeks its time to look deeper.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This indeed does have the solenoid on the starter. Also may have a problem with the alternator. Haven't had a chance to really mess with it due to the weather and work. Hope to get to it this week. This car was literally owned by an old lady that bought it brand new and her family kept it well maintained. Had never been smoked in or anything. They sold it to a guy and his wife , they owned it for six months and did not take care of it at all. Cig burns and cig ashes on the seats, dirty,dog and/or cat hair all over the back seat and it stinks. No oil showed on the dipstick when I checked it, but you couldn't hear the motor run. Couple quarts brought it up. Hopefully after I get it going and cleaned up, it'll be good for another couple hundred thousand miles. It only has about seventy thousand on it now.Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Comment

Still, at least the fix is relatively easy and costs, what, $100?

Comment

Well, got the oil and filter changed today. Was a real bugger getting the filter off. Wound up having to buy a filter tool with a narrower band, and then had to use a cheater pipe to get the filter broke loose. Sure don't have a lot of empty space around this motor. Going to tackle taking off the starter and maybe plugs tomorrow. Expect the starter to be a bugger too. Anybody got any suggestions that'll make getting the starter off easier(other than having someone else do it)?

Comment

Big tip for any Box-body Panther (or Fox Mustang too, I understand, and presumably the same on your Aero) is to use a long socket extension to get at the top starter bolt. With the right mix of extensions, the ratchet spins happily in space just aft of the fan shroud.

Also (again on Box-bodies, assuming yours is similar), I find it handy to remove the top bolt completely before loosening the bottom one. Remove the bottom bolt first, and the top one is difficult to get out (IMO).

The seriously annoying part is how long it took me to figure this stuff out.

Comment

aft? i know these things are boats but, why so nautical all of a sudden? lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                              X