5.0 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0 build

Ive got the 302 block in my 85 Grand Marq.
    After a rebuild and some light machining, would this block still be not work building up a little bit? Ive heard its not good for much except running bone stock and I just wanna see if anyone here has any input on this
    I dont know SBFs at all.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
    Carb swap planned .
    c90 heads
    475 lift cam
    Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
    Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
    331 stroker kit
    Work in progress

In my opinion i think you would be better off finding an HO motor (87-91) or a new HO long block. You could put all HO internals and components on your stock block, but after the expense and time it would be easier to just find an HO motor and drop it right in. Then you could add what go-fast parts you want as time and money allow.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

going HO would have to be SEFI though right?
      thatd suck. Its not that i dont have the aptitude for electronics i just hate them.
      Carb swap planned .
      c90 heads
      475 lift cam
      Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
      331 stroker kit
      Work in progress

Comment

No, not necessarily.
        Only SEFI if you put in an HO computer and injectors

The HO has a different timing, so change your spark plug wires around, and it will flow more (I should really check the specs before pulling this out of my ass, but I think it has greater lift and duration, and maybe a smidgen of overlap against the lopo camshaft and e6se heads)
        I've no experience with carburettors... I don't know if the higher flow rate requires a more open carburettor somehow, or what tweaks you would make if any,

but I do know that the guy I bought my HO roller block from was running it carburetted before I took it off his hands, so it's absolutely doable.

Comment

That might not be so bad. Ill have to look around and see how much a long block might cost
          Carb swap planned .
          c90 heads
          475 lift cam
          331 stroker kit
          Work in progress

Comment

Yeah, go HO, or even an '86+ lopo would be a better start. Both are roller blocks, which give you more of a selection of cams, and they last longer.

Comment

If you were in Maryland, I'm getting rid of my 120k long block for $300, with rebuilt heads

When I was looking locally, I far more easily found the short block and heads separate... short block was going for $150-$300, a couple real steals, like one for $180 that had already had the machine work done to it: those were all roller blocks btw.
              I might have done better, but the guy who wasn't too far and responded first, had a 60,000 mile 1990 roller block, the one with the forged pistons, and he charged $300 for it + 2 pairs e7tes + intake&injectors + some ac compressors and alternators I didn't need. Everything is wonderfully to spec and I could have done worse.

e7te heads are cheap cheap cheap, expect to pay $40 for good condition ones, $100 for rebuilt, $20 for a core that could use rebuilding.
              Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 03-15-2011, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                No, not necessarily.
                Only SEFI if you put in an HO computer and injectors
                need sensors and actuators. iac, injectors, throttle position sensor, oxygen sensors (would need manifolds from an sefi or have your other manifold tapped for oxygen sensor) coolant temp sensor, map sensor, etc etc etc

if you found a donor panther in a junkyard you could strip the injectors, fuel rails, wiring harness and sensors/iac/etc out. don't need the ecu since you're going ho anyway, right?

it really wouldnt be that hard to tear out the wiring. might be tedious but not hard.
                Last edited by 1990LTD; 03-15-2011, 12:35 AM.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

The main harness is pretty much separate from everything else. Just unplug it at the firewall, and just undo all the ground lines that are bolted along the way. The harness is broken up into 3 parts. The Main harness, which has the ECM plug, TFI, Compressor, relays, EGR and thermactor junk wiring. The Salt and pepper harness, which controls the fuel injectors, iac, temp sensors and evap solenoid. And the O2 harness, which holds the O2 harness, and also contains an important computer ground.

Comment

im buying an 88, ive only seen pictures and i only know its a 5.0,
                    its not the ho is it?
                    Carb swap planned .
                    c90 heads
                    475 lift cam
                    331 stroker kit
                    Work in progress

Comment

No on the H.O. unless someone has swapped which I seriously doubt.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

damn so its the 5.0 flat tappet with sefi?
                        Carb swap planned .
                        c90 heads
                        475 lift cam
                        331 stroker kit
                        Work in progress

Comment

It should be a roller engine from '86 and on 'til '91 for our cars. IDK the prices in your area, but you might want to get an Explorer engine (I think '96-'01, ask the pps here what years) and go carb on that. Or you can get your '88 engine and get yourself some GT40 heads.

Packman

Comment

Well i was gonna take the engine out IF it was an HO. but im gonna leave the 88 alone for awhile and let my girlfriend drive it
                            Carb swap planned .
                            c90 heads
                            475 lift cam
                            331 stroker kit
                            Work in progress

Comment

Working...
                            X