how to repaint the filler panel on an 88-91

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to repaint the filler panel on an 88-91

any tips on how to repaint it? its cracked on one end and there are holes in from the flashing lights that were installed.

i'm basically wondering as to what grit sandpaper and such to use, or if i can just spraybomb the thing
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

what filler pannel are you referring to

Comment

To do it right, you'll need some flex stuff in the paint. Just spraying it, the paint will crack/peel eventually.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

actually thats not true

Comment

Why? It's the same shit as the "bumpers" on the new cars. I spray painted mine and it flaked off.
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Poor adhesion is not due to lack of flex additive. Flex additive only lasts for a few months in paint. Its sole purpose is to insure paint on flexible parts doesn’t crack when reinstalling after painting. Poor adhesion is do to poor prep work and using incompatible materials. For example using lacquer primer under enamel paint. Or not using an adhesion promoter on bare plastic parts.

Comment

i know shit about bodywork lol so how do i prep it and is there anything besides the prep that i need to do? and what do i use for paint, standard auto paint from say paintscratch.com?

Comment

First are you talking about the plastic behind the bumper that is bolted to the fender? If yes unbolt them sand all the paint off. Start with 120 or 220 grit paper. When the paint is removed sand again with 400 or 500 grit paper to remove the 120 or 220 grit scratches. Then you will need to clean the parts. Clean them with paint cleaner/ paint prep. Follow the directions on the container for proper use. Then you will need to apply Plastic adhesion prompter. You can get it at any auto body supply store. Follow manufactures directions for proper use. Then you are ready to paint. You can pick up matching color paint also from any auto body supply store. If you don’t have a paint gun some places can load the paint into a spray can for you. I recommend getting single stage paint for cars older than 1990 for a good match.

Comment

sweet, thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X