5.0 HO need some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0 HO need some advice.

I found a 5.0 HO for 150 with allllll the trimmings MAF, Computer and all harnesses

BUT

it has a rod knocking.

should i get it and do a rebuild or try and find another?
    I do want to carb this engine.
    I might not but i want to...badly.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
    Carb swap planned .
    c90 heads
    475 lift cam
    Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
    Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
    331 stroker kit
    Work in progress

hell, I'd buy the MAF and computer (and harnesses/connections) off of you for $100 shipped and you'd have the block for $50.

Well, bad news is that you probably won't avoid a fresh piston set and overboring the cylinders. Good news is that once that's done, you'll have a genuinely rebuilt engine with pristine tolerances

Your other options might, for example, include paying rather more to buy a low mileage unabused engine with OK tolerances.

Find an inexpensive machinist near you (or 50 miles away and worth the trip in savings); you'll probably find yourself $800 in the hole for cylinder reboring, new pistons, a gasket and ring set, etc, but it'd be done right.

I found myself an engine for $500 that had 60,000 miles and have largely avoided machining. Would I have done $900 for a freshly-machined engine? Maybe; it's not necessarily a bad deal.

Comment

What's the comp like on your old engine? You could slap the E7's and all on your old short block if it's still good.
      1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

possibly not a roller motor in 85. Some have the bosses for the lifter retainer, some do not. None of them came with a roller cam, but some of the blocks will take one with about 10 minutes of work with a drill and a tap.

If its knocking, it at least needs crank work. Its been my experience that the only reason a 5.0 HO knocks is because it was either beaten to death, or run out of oil. Neither bodes well for machine work required. If someone snapped an oil pump shaft, it would also do this. Thats also extremely ugly as far as engine damage goes.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

IMO, for a carb application a complete HO motor is just a block and cam donor. HO cams are good for a lot of things, and are very cheap to get used. You already know the heads are nothing special and easily improved upon, and the rest of the top end is useless to you and the stock forged pistons (assuming it's, what, '86-'93? AND not previously rebuilt) are no use if the block needs boring.

Supposing the block and cam both turn out not to be reusable (probably not likely, but just supposing), your $150 will be wasted unless you can recoup it selling the other parts, and that'd be money you can't put toward the stuff you actually need. Might be as well or even better off buying just a cam and block that you know are usable.

YMMV, but my feeling would be to pass.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Sounds like you got all the parts for an HO SEFI swap for cheap... slap all the goodies on your motor if its good. Carb swap will only cost you more money if you get this deal!
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              possibly not a roller motor in 85. Some have the bosses for the lifter retainer, some do not. None of them came with a roller cam, but some of the blocks will take one with about 10 minutes of work with a drill and a tap.

If its knocking, it at least needs crank work. Its been my experience that the only reason a 5.0 HO knocks is because it was either beaten to death, or run out of oil. Neither bodes well for machine work required. If someone snapped an oil pump shaft, it would also do this. Thats also extremely ugly as far as engine damage goes.
              I figured it would have just spun a bearing.
              because it was ran out of oil maybe.
              Carb swap planned .
              c90 heads
              475 lift cam
              Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
              331 stroker kit
              Work in progress

Comment

Well i could take it to a shop for the machining and do the rebuild myself but thatd still put me in like 650 after its all done and then i still need more sheet.
                well i think youre right bernini
                im probably just gonna hold out.
                Im not going to SEFI otherwise i might consider it more.
                Ima keep lookin! If anyone finds a good HO block or a good 351 lemme know!

otherwise....SBC time
                Carb swap planned .
                c90 heads
                475 lift cam
                331 stroker kit
                Work in progress

Comment

find out for me what he'd take just for the maf and matching computer, + harnesses

Comment

I found on craigslist a couple blocks that had just had machine work, then for some reason or another the guy who had invested that abandoned the project. They were going for around $500. You might get luck there.
                    I was just searching in Oklahoma for you (oklahoma city being the biggest.. don't know how far that is). 302, 5.0, 302 roller, 5.0 roller, came up with very little. "mustang engine" came up with a couple nice options . There was $750 for an engine with AOD transmission, 84,000 miles; ask what he'll take just for the engine. At 84k you're saving a ton in machine work if it runs right.

Comment

Dude excellent, ill look into that. Ive been tearing craigslist up looking for it. thats were i found the HO with the rod knock.
                      Carb swap planned .
                      c90 heads
                      475 lift cam
                      331 stroker kit
                      Work in progress

Comment

Working...
                      X