Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal on switching to Mercon V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the deal on switching to Mercon V?

Once again I have lost a post that I read somewhere. It didn't apply at the time and now I can't find it.

So, can we put Mercon V in the 1995 GM and does the torque converter have to be dumped to do it?

And, when we do it, should we consider any sort of additive? I keep reading nice things about the Lubeguard Platinum ...

It's up to 69000 and the transmission fluid hasn't been changed since we have had it. That would have been since around 54000. Of course, who knows when it was changed before that, or if. So it is time.

Thanks,
    Jim
    2000 Grand Marquis
    1995 Grand Marquis
    1990 Lincoln Continental (50th Anniversary)
    1989 Buick Park Avenue
    1989 Grand Marquis

Yes.

Also change the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators while you have it out.

It's pretty easy to do, just rotate the converter around until the drain plug is at th 6 o clock position, and there will be a hole in the bellhousing for it.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yes, Mercon V is perfect.
      -Michael

Comment

merc 5 solves the shuddering TC issue.

Comment

HELP!!!!!!!!! My Tranny is failing!

How does one change the 1-2 3-4 accumulators? I'm having a very f'ed up issue. Under a decent load, in second gear, it feels like the transmission is trying to go back to first gear but then staying in 2nd. the 2nd to 3rd shift revs up then drops into third. Causes? Fixes? I want to do the J-mod but I want to do the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulators at the same time if possible. HELP!!!!!!!
          "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

Comment

i use mercon V in rebuilt aod's.........good shit!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...on/index.shtml

Read this article THOROUGHLY. (more than once)

Order the new accumulators that have the rubber bonded to the accumulator. What you have now is an aluminum accumulator that has 2 o-rings on them. Bad for the trans. Replace those while you do the J-mod. Drain the torque converter and then refill with Mercon 5 (approx 13 quarts.)

When I did my J-mod I also upgraded the overdrive servo. Don't need to worry about any additives for the mercon 5
              1997 Grand Marquis w/ 126400
              TOO MANY MODS TO LIST WITH ONLY 5 LINES OF SPACE. VISIT MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15008

Comment

mercon v solved my shutterng issues

Comment

I have used the Amsoil trans fluid in a couple vehicles just a couple quarts that were lost changing a trans cooler set up just a couple quarts made a differance.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

The Mercon V is also a synthetic blend fluid, so probably adding in the synthetic Amsoil to existing petrol base fluid made it about the same.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

can I put it in my well used AOD???
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

absolutely
                        1997 Grand Marquis w/ 126400
                        TOO MANY MODS TO LIST WITH ONLY 5 LINES OF SPACE. VISIT MY SUPERMOTORS PAGE FOR MORE DETAILS

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15008

Comment

Working...
                        X